Breeding

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
I was waiting for that response ;)

still think wild caught is more likely than captive bred...

We're not talking out STs, if it were baby st's in those bags, then yes, I would be on your side of the fence.

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
Just the numbers i saw yesterday, along with the sellers quite happy to tell me "indo farm", is enough to convince me they're farm bred. They want you to believe they're wild because it adds value. I had to offer the place of origin before they told me.
I saw a leat 500 (i'm being very conservative) small indos yesterday in only 6 shops. Can some one tell me how 500 very small indos get for inodonisia to one market in Thailand when they're on the endagered list in the wild.
Impossible IMHO

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
classic-chassis;3860571; said:
Just the numbers i saw yesterday, along with the sellers quite happy to tell me "indo farm", is enough to convince me they're farm bred. They want you to believe they're wild because it adds value. I had to offer the place of origin before they told me.
I saw a leat 500 (i'm being very conservative) small indos yesterday in only 6 shops. Can some one tell me how 500 very small indos get for inodonisia to one market in Thailand when they're on the endagered list in the wild.
Impossible IMHO
I believe what you say re: what the sellor said, but equally, captive bred fish only lower the price of a fish.
I just want to see actual evidence of the farming process.
Are IT and NTT on the endangered
list, or is it just ST?

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
I don't konw if they're on any lists to be honest, but if people have been pulling them out of rivers at the rate i saw yesterday, they soon will be. Like i said if i saw 500 yesterday, so i would estimate there are 2000 for sale all over Bangkok right now. That's just one city.
I think if they aren't farm bred you will not be able to buy an Indo dat in 2 years tops.
I would expect you're going to see a lot of them for sale in the UK and states soon. I have googled for wild populations but I can't find anything.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
Ade;3859167; said:
Did the vendors confirm their stock numbers to you?

As u mentioned, its your "estimate"... whats's this based on?. To say 1000's is just wild. Whats that mean... 10K, 20K, 5K.....

anyhow, i DO AGREE, that there definately is a noticible increase in the number of small dats on sale. doesnt mean there farmbred...

nice to see pics from that market in thailand, classic chassis;)
Ade, when I bought my IT dats, the vendor told me that he had ordered about 1,000 of them. Plus, a lot of LFS in the US ordered baby dats and have them in stock now. Even one of the lower end LFS in my area has 30 baby dats for sale.

It seems hard to believe, but I think they're being farm bred. There were so many for sale in December and it makes more sense that they're being bred than babies being captured by the hundreds/thousands like that.

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
that's 1550 from 3 posters, on the conservative side also.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
Hey classic-chassis, how much were you able to buy those dats for? On the bags it says 500 baht each (about $15 US before they markdown for hagglers). But that seems kinda high when indos here were cheaper last month.

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
I think they were the high grade, there were others for 100 to 200BHT.
Bigger NTTs are 100BHT

timdo72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Edinburg, TX
FYI - i have a friend that works at a LFS in socal, back in December 09, he ordered like 300 babies IT at one time and they were sold quite quickly. who knows how many more he has order since then to make profit if they were sold that quick. i would say by the thousands alone in the US.

Nice work classic-chassis, thanks for the info and pics. those pics of the dats being sold on the street in little bags are classic, i don't think i ever see that here in the US.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store