Can i house a Jardini in my tank for life

MattyA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
Australia
Jardini have the potential to reach 3ft. A 5ft tank is just simply too small. I would not house a jardini in anything less than 8x3.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Jardini have the potential to reach 3ft. A 5ft tank is just simply too small. I would not house a jardini in anything less than 8x3.
In captivity most of the specimens will not reach it's good monster size, like for example Oscars, some may go 14-15 inches, well there are cases where in captivity they achieve that but mostly are obese or maybe they inherited monster sized-genes.

Show me a 3 foot jardini in captivity!!!
Don't be so rude... Well what if there is a 3 foot jardini? Not much to say be civil.

Stateofficer1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Fairmont North Carolina
In captivity most of the specimens will not reach it's good monster size, like for example Oscars, some may go 14-15 inches, well there are cases where in captivity they achieve that but mostly are obese or maybe they inherited monster sized-genes.

Don't be so rude... Well what if there is a 3 foot jardini? Not much to say be civil.
Rude? I just ask a question!! If there is one, I want to see it!!! People on this forum wear they're feelings on their sleeves.. Nothing rude about asking for proof!!

MattyA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
Australia
Jardini HAVE THE POTENTIAL to reach 3ft. I never said they reach 3ft, personally I do not know of any that large and it would be a huge feat to get one to that size. The largest I have seen would have been around 30" in a public aquarium and it looks like they were giving it an entree, main and desert of roids.. No way a fish of that calibre belongs in a 5ft tank.

Stateofficer1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Fairmont North Carolina
Jardini HAVE THE POTENTIAL to reach 3ft. I never said they reach 3ft, personally I do not know of any that large and it would be a huge feat to get one to that size. The largest I have seen would have been around 30" in a public aquarium and it looks like they were giving it an entree, main and desert of roids.. No way a fish of that calibre belongs in a 5ft tank.
You might be right, but I've seen bigger fish put in worse situations, so in my opinion his jardini will be fine in a 5x3 tank!!!

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Sheesh again with the tank dimension arguments, most will agree on this, the bigger, the better. Also try to budget it out right for you, what do I mean by budget is get the right deal with the right dimensions.

cleanpainter

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
United States
If you buy a baby Jardini that tank will work for 3-5 years. You may want to get a bigger tank down the road. The fish will live for potentially 20 years. A lot can change in that time period. Raising the fish you may fall in love with the hobby. Your tank is pretty good size. I would go for it. This site is great, and many valuable opinions can come from here, but opinions they are.

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
I find the 6' tank min argument interesting. that makes me look at my teeny tiny five gal and think is a jardini really gonna be bothered over a foot?

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
That tank should be fine for most of his life, once he reaches 26 inches I'd be look into upgrading.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store