Can i house a Jardini in my tank for life

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Show me a 3 foot jardini in captivity!!!
Have you considered that the number of people suggesting a 5' tank as adequate "for life" may have something to do with the lack of 3' jardini in captivity?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
If people have to argue whether the tank is big enough or not then you should just rethink your stock.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MattyA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
Australia
You might be right, but I've seen bigger fish put in worse situations, so in my opinion his jardini will be fine in a 5x3 tank!!!
Are you serious? So you would starve your kid/s for weeks because there is other kids in overseas that are in worse situations? Extreme example but that's basically what you are saying.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Public aquariums don't even grow 3' jardinis!!!! Lmao
3' or not, the average jardini SHOULD get to 2' at the very least, and 5' isn't enough length for such an active fish of that size, IMHO.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
3' or not, the average jardini SHOULD get to 2' at the very least, and 5' isn't enough length for such an active fish of that size, IMHO.

2 ft ain't 3 ft. If my grade school math serves me correctly, 3 ft is 50% more then 2 ft. No?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
5' isn't enough length for such an active fish of that size, IMHO.

This is another important point. Aros are really active fish. Always moving. If it was a spotted gar, a 5x3 tank would be perfect. Because gars aren't as active as arowanas.

Same thing can be said for bigger haplochromis cichlids. Sure I can fit a venustus in a 75 but they're really strong, active swimmers. Which is why a 6 ft tank is what a fish like that should be kept in.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
2 ft ain't 3 ft. If my grade school math serves me correctly, 3 ft is 50% more then 2 ft. No?
Correct. Now what is 5 divided by 2?

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Easy answer, NO. MINIMUM 6 foot long tank, longer is better.

Why are people so obsessed with minimum? If you love your fish, would you not want to give them as much space as possible?

MattyA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
Australia
Easy answer, NO. MINIMUM 6 foot long tank, longer is better.

Why are people so obsessed with minimum? If you love your fish, would you not want to give them as much space as possible?
There are a lot of people who want to keep monster fish but cannot house them appropriately so just scrape by in tank sizes. I could never enjoy fish keeping if my tanks were JUST big enough to house the fish. Hell, my 18" jardini covers my 8ft tank in under 5 seconds, I can't even imagine what he would be like in a tank only 2.5 times the length of himself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store