Carpintis/Texas x Jaguar line breeding ideas?

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Looks interesting, feels like too much work though (to me, I am just too lazy). You will need to breed few generations to get all things you are looking for in to a fish. But sounds interesting project.
Yeah I know, there's going to have to be a lot of culling, but I really like the idea so I am just going to have to deal with it. Same for my Red Texas Short body line that I plan on breeding.

Fisharefriends808

Feeder Fish
Jan 12, 2018
Hawaii
what’s up guys hope everyone is safe during these times I’m a little late to the party and I actually breed blue jags .... Escondido x red jags .... just starting out and haven’t gotten the offspring to mate yet but consistently can get babies have a bout 40 total as of right now with wrigglers as of today maybe about 100 of them ... lemme know if anyone has questions or wants to see some pics I think they are awesome and have a great personality... colors are good not great but full blue jags would be super awesome someday . 412CA87D-7D03-4C29-9392-F6653FE66D63.jpeg

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
what’s up guys hope everyone is safe during these times I’m a little late to the party and I actually breed blue jags .... Escondido x red jags .... just starting out and haven’t gotten the offspring to mate yet but consistently can get babies have a bout 40 total as of right now with wrigglers as of today maybe about 100 of them ... lemme know if anyone has questions or wants to see some pics I think they are awesome and have a great personality... colors are good not great but full blue jags would be super awesome someday . View attachment 1411230
Nice cool to see that someone breeds them.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Yeah technically speaking the entire sunfish family are cichlids. So anything as big as a large mouth bass all the way down to the pygmy sunfish are all apart of the cichlid family. Very very distantly related but still related none the less. But yeah body shape and breeding habits would need to line up the most but there are plenty of cichlids out there with a very similar body shape/breeding habits. Only thing that I think would be the problem between trying to cross one with a vieja is just the size difference. OSS males tend to Max out at only 5in and the females max out around 4in. The one in the pic was a male while a female stays this light grey color with darker rust colored spot instead on that nice bright orange. Not too familiar with viejas so there could be one small enough that I just don't know about. Could always replace the OSS for a slightly larger sunfish specie as well, I know bluegill get to around 8-10in max wild size.
Wait what so that means all those bluegill i have been feeding my cichlids are actually there in family oh no

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Vieja synspil
T

True true, it definitely does make it easier making a pair. I guess my mind was on using a male OSS lol. But it shouldn't matter if I use a female, the results should be the same regardless. It would take a couple gens to get the breed to actually breed true but it would look very interesting in the end. I'll have to do some research on veija species and see if I can pick out one or 2 I wanna try. Any recommendations?
i recommend vieja synspilam thery get a decent size there colorful and are known to hybridise regularly with other cichlids

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store