Catalina biotype

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
I have no problem with people being mad because I named a species after me. It is my protected rights under the first amendment. Eventually a hybrid can become its own species.
Actually, given this would be a world wide thing, I don't think the first amendment would be involved - sorry to tell you that the world does not revolve around America and certainly doesn't follow the American constitution. Plus where in the first amendment does it say you can name a new species whatever you want?
http://www.freedomforum.org/package.../supportpages/L01-FirstAmendmentExplained.htm
I would not class that as free speech... Plus, to have a new species become known to science, you would have to write a full academic paper and publish it in a respected peer reviewed journal - and they will not look favourably on something against the ethics of their science so might well not publish it - in which case it would not be a new species... Concentrate on making this a really cool set up I'd say... Forget about hybrids and species and make something really awesome that everyone on here would love - and then enjoy it by going diving/fishing and take your family and friends in to observe the sharks... I would love a set up I could go diving in! Would be amazing!

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
It take either a positive mutation or hundreds of years to have a new species. You would be long gone and your lagoon long gone before a new species happens. And that is way to small for enough genetic variation to occur. By generation 5 or so (if it makes it that far) they would all be inbred deformed animals barely able to survive.

I will be breeding the first few generations in a controlled environment. After I get the set up done I will go into more details about the breeding. I have no problems letting my children and grand children take over.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
Actually, given this would be a world wide thing, I don't think the first amendment would be involved - sorry to tell you that the world does not revolve around America and certainly doesn't follow the American constitution. Plus where in the first amendment does it say you can name a new species whatever you want?
http://www.freedomforum.org/package.../supportpages/L01-FirstAmendmentExplained.htm
I would not class that as free speech... Plus, to have a new species become known to science, you would have to write a full academic paper and publish it in a respected peer reviewed journal - and they will not look favourably on something against the ethics of their science so might well not publish it - in which case it would not be a new species... Concentrate on making this a really cool set up I'd say... Forget about hybrids and species and make something really awesome that everyone on here would love - and then enjoy it by going diving/fishing and take your family and friends in to observe the sharks... I would love a set up I could go diving in! Would be amazing!
I am not doing this for the people of the world. I am doing this for the environment.

Did you go to constitution school with Piers Morgan?

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
Even though I might disagree with you if you ever come to America you are welcomed at my resort. As long as you can pass a background check.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
On Thursday I am meeting with the Catalina Island Conversation. I am lucky two of my cousins are on the board of directors.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
I will be breeding the first few generations in a controlled environment. After I get the set up done I will go into more details about the breeding. I have no problems letting my children and grand children take over.
You are not going to make a new species. The Flowerhorn business has existed for decades with million of dollars and thousands of breeders and they are still considered hybrids. You are not going to make you own species, especially not with sharks when millions of dollars and decades of time couldn't do it with cichlids.
I am not doing this for the people of the world. I am doing this for the environment.

Did you go to constitution school with Piers Morgan?
Doesn't matter what you are doing it for, in order to declare it a new species, you need an academic paper to be reviewed and published by the scientific community. If they say no, then it won't be considered a new species. Naming a new species after yourself is a good way to get your paper revoked.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I applied for 501c status and for a few grants. I know California still has some stimulus money stashed away for environmental projects. I am also in contact with the Catalina Island Conservation. I have over 85 acres of land. If I allow them to use it for conservation purposes there organization will supply the man power needed to maintain the pond. My dad works with investors. Catalina Island is becoming big on tourism. The Catalina Island Conservation with prepare a present a plan on my behalf. A portion of the profits will be given to the Catalina Island Conservation which will help me maintain 501c status and continue my envormental quest to protect the ecosystem of Catalina and create a new species.
You actually have to have 501c prior to applying for grants.
Also, since you are going to be 'for profit', it doesn't mesh well with being able to take donations via a 501c. If you 'allow them to use it', you can't start a business there for your own profit at the same time. You aren't going to be protecting/maintaining the natural environment, you'll be modifying it and trying to shape it to create hybrids. Conservation groups won't like that at all.

I still think you are about ten steps ahead of yourself. As of right now, you can't even legally start introducing animals since by all description it's a naturally occuring body of water that is still connected to the ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store