chlorimine auto drip system looking for final design :)

dragonfish1ca

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2005
alberta canada
Hey guys.
Im looking to set up another auto drip for my central filter system and it seems the designs have changed a fair bit since my last build. I still have filter guys carbon block filters but now i see people trying to get away from the ammonia it leaves? I see the chem drips ect ect. Im looking for a tried and tested way to do constant water changes that works and works well as a final design? LOL can anyone point me in the right direction or throw up an example? Ive searched it to death and cant find anything recent

20151004_140619.jpg

1972ford

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2015
I too am interested and will be following this thread why did they have to use chloromine in oklahoma city.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
By-products of straight chlorine mixed with any organic compounds are trihalomethanes (carcinogenic to humans)http://cfpub.epa.gov/ncer_abstracts/index.cfm/fuseaction/display.highlight/abstract/22, and though chlorines power to disinfect is strong for a short time, it dissipates quickly. It has been found that using chloramine does not produce these carcinogens, yet provides a longer disinfection residual in the distribution system, which also can help prevent the buildup of bacteria such as those that cause Legionnaires disease.
I have found the chlorine part of chloramine is easily taken care of by activated carbon, or any of the sodium thiosulfate based products made for aquarium use.
And the small amount of ammonia left over is also easily used up if the aquarist has a healthy beneficial bacteria population in the tank and filter.
The benefits or chloramine (at least to me) highly outweigh the negatives.

Reactions: boldtogether

dragonfish1ca

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2005
alberta canada
I love it in my city water.... just hate it when its going in the tank lol
Im running aqua ultimas on both systems so im sure the ammonia will be eaten up. Im just wondering what you guys are using now and have all the bugs been worked out? Dosers? Block filters? Pumps and floats? I need to know lol

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When we needed the chlorine part of chloramine out in the lab, it was sent as a drip thru a column filled with carbon about 1ft long by 2 inches diameter. When checked for purity, chlorine was always undetectable.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
All I've been using is a rv carbon filter for 11 bucks and have had excellent water quality for over a year and have even had my rays breed with this autodrip set up.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I've used filterguys carbon block for almost a year now. 40GPD on a 540 gallon tank. Drip so little, I might not even need to filter, but I do it anyway. My tank is moderately stocked, Vieja mostly. The fish grow, water tests fine. I have 12 liters of matrix in bags in the sump. A standpipe in the sump maintains water level, drains off excess.

No pumps, no dosing, just gravity.

Reactions: dragonfish1ca

dragonfish1ca

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2005
alberta canada
Awesome!!! Thats what i needed to hear! What are you using for a counter? Regulator? Drip nozzle? And how often are you changing the cartriges?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
There's a regulator in the line that drips 40 GPD. I have another one that drips 60GPD, but I haven't gone to that one, yet. I asked em on the phone how often the filters would last, and they said hard to say, but probably 2 1/2 months. I've been meaning to test the drip with chloramine test kit after 2 1/2 months but I've never gotten around to it.

It's just easier to change the cartridges every 2 1/2 months. They look slightly discolored when I change them out, but I have no idea if they'll last longer or not. And I don't wanna sterilize my bio-filter just experimenting around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store