chlorimine auto drip system looking for final design :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because every water system has an individual disinfection demand, and how far you are from the initial source of the disinfection entry, it would be very hard for the company to calculate your rate. Unless you could tell them your average tap water chloramine concentration, and even then chloramine dosage may change from day to day, or even hour to hour depending upon organic condition of the source water. And, there are a host of other water parameters that effect how long the carbon would remain viable.

Reactions: boldtogether

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yea, he made it sound like 2 1/2 months was a real safe guess. And I don't have a test for chloramine/chlorine concentration, either. My test is just a yes/no indicator--it turns pink.

So I just figured It'd be better to swap filters too often than risk it with no real data to go on.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I wish they still had the guy chewing popcorn emoticon....
*Watching this thread*
I like Duanes suggestion of a cylinder filled with carbon....one could be built with 3-4" PVC or ABS, about 3' long with a cap on one end and a threaded cap on the other...flow the water through that column of carbon and it would last a long time....and cheap to replace the carbon...relatively speaking.

KyleK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
The only problem with that is you would have to be precise controlling the amount of contact time the carbon has with the untreated water...

Carbon used that way to clear up pollutants already in the tank for water clarity ETC.. sure but raw water from the tap... why risk it?

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Thats why I suggested such a large container....for a drip of say, 24 gallons a day (168 gallons a week), the one gallon an hour through that much carbon should be adequate.
This very dilemma has kept a drip system in the grey for me for years. We strive for such control but a varying Cl2 or NH2CL residual takes very educated guess work or precise monitoring....both if which add too much stress to a peaceful hobby in my opinion.
I would really like to hear a viable solution, preferably one without the use of chemicals...so I continue to wait and read.

KyleK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Of course dosing is an option if you want to be safe but you would be throwing money away unless you used the premixed powder bulk dechlorinator.

Another factor that hasnt been addressed is the addition of cold water into the system?

Reactions: boldtogether

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Of course dosing is an option if you want to be safe but you would be throwing money away unless you used the premixed powder bulk dechlorinator.

Another factor that hasnt been addressed is the addition of cold water into the system?
^Agree^ My tap water is 80° during the summer and around 60° in the winter...to match what I change out weekly, 24 gallons a day, 168 a week...thats a lot of cold water in the winter.....yet ANOTHER variable. I certainly don't want to derail this thread and I apologize if I am...I would love to hear someone chime in on how they have overcome these obstacles.

dragonfish1ca

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2005
alberta canada
The drip wont be enough to change the water temp and if its constant the heaters will adjust to it as well.
Are you guys using a small ball valve or actual drip counter nipples?

KyleK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
why not use a regulator? less likely to clog up and more control of flow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store