chlorimine auto drip system looking for final design :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm guessing by the OP's avatar that he lives in Edmonton. If so the chloramine residual should be approx. 2 ppm year round.

And the small amount of ammonia left over is also easily used up if the aquarist has a healthy beneficial bacteria population in the tank and filter.
In tanks such as yours that are generally heavily planted, maybe so, but in non planted tanks I have found that there is a small amount of free ammonia that lingers for at least an hour or two if one is doing large volume water changes - which I typically do. At higher levels of pH (mine is 8.0) even small traces of ammonia can be toxic to a fish, and over time can take a toll.

If you decide to dose, Seachem Safe can be purchased in bulk, and will remain stable in a premixed solution for approx 30 days. (as per the president and head chemist of Seachem, Dr. Greg Morin)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Different RD, but correct city. Ryan is a good friend of mine. You might want to check with him to see what he's running for filters. I believe he has his entire house being filtered now and we have the same chloramine residual as Edmonton. (2 ppm) Prior to his current system he ran a dosing pump with a Seachem Safe/water mix.

Reactions: dragonfish1ca

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Of course dosing is an option if you want to be safe but you would be throwing money away unless you used the premixed powder bulk dechlorinator.

Another factor that hasnt been addressed is the addition of cold water into the system?
I think saying "throwing money away" is kind of harsh.
I can get a gallon of Amquel for $35. That takes care of treating almost 7700 gallons.
How many carbon filters does it take to treat that much water? I don't know, but it's not free.
And there's less maintenance using a doser to inject Amquel than changing carbon filters and testing for chlorine, in my opinion. I know drip systems work well for some people. If a drip can keep your water clean, it sure is convenient. I'm not criticizing it, just saying that using dechlorinator is pretty economical too. More than one way to do it.

dragonfish1ca

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2005
alberta canada
Do you have a link to a decent dosing build? I would love to see one and compare.... i would even like to run both just because we have such harsh water up here

I think saying "throwing money away" is kind of harsh.
I can get a gallon of Amquel for $35. That takes care of treating almost 7700 gallons.
How many carbon filters does it take to treat that much water? I don't know, but it's not free.
And there's less maintenance using a doser to inject Amquel than changing carbon filters and testing for chlorine, in my opinion. I know drip systems work well for some people. If a drip can keep your water clean, it sure is convenient. I'm not criticizing it, just saying that using dechlorinator is pretty economical too. More than one way to do it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store