Cichla piquiti "azul", albino silurus glanis, largest fw fish in the world!

N8sharpe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2012
Cincinnati

N8sharpe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2012
Cincinnati
Also silirus glanis is not largest fw fish in world

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Also silirus glanis is not largest fw fish in world

Then what is pray tell? Record glanis was (at least) over 16 and 1/2 feet long. Glanis does belong in the conversation, and there is no way that you will prove that one FW fish is the "largest in the world". Many lay claim to that title, and this is one of them. Proving one over the other is impossible, especially with indeterminate growth.

That being said, the UWSP Live Fish Collection (check us out: http://www.facebook.com/pages/UWSP-Live-HerpetologyIchthyology-Lab/196651933735925 ) would love one of these - maybe we can get a donation thread going! :D

Ive been wanting one for years now, awesome fish.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Again, like I said, "indeterminant growth. Average wels is not over 16.5 feet, and your average Pangasianodon gigas does not get to be as big either. Its like saying that asians are the tallest people in the world because of Yao Ming.

Arapaima is another fish that you can throw in the list of fish contending for "largest fw fish in the world".

Mekong Giant Ray Dasyatis laosensis, and the white sturgeon Ascipenser transmontanus (to 20' * Peterson: Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes) might also have something to say about that.

jeeper_x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2011
BBK
The ray and sturgeon are not fully fresh water fish......I just go by the record that's all....reliable record.....not the 1800s record for the wels....don't fall deeper into the hole.....

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
My sources are reliable. I will cite scientific grade literature for everything I have said. I am in the process of becoming an ichthyologist. If u want to talk more we can take it to pm, but calling the Mekong cat the largest fw fish in the world outright will get you discredited real quick.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Wes I once offered hooking you up with some wels breeders, are you still interested, because you could get 4" albino wels for 10 dollars and 2 feet normals for 50.. + shipping. You'ld have to care about all the shipping though, and I'm not sure if they'd really do it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store