Cichla piquiti "azul", albino silurus glanis, largest fw fish in the world!

mrblah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
earth
Wes I once offered hooking you up with some wels breeders, are you still interested, because you could get 4" albino wels for 10 dollars and 2 feet normals for 50.. + shipping. You'ld have to care about all the shipping though, and I'm not sure if they'd really do it.
real classy bro.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Then what is pray tell? Record glanis was (at least) over 16 and 1/2 feet long. Glanis does belong in the conversation, and there is no way that you will prove that one FW fish is the "largest in the world".
16 1/2 feet for glanis? Never. Agree on the second part though :thumbup:

jeeper_x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2011
BBK
My sources are reliable. I will cite scientific grade literature for everything I have said. I am in the process of becoming an ichthyologist. If u want to talk more we can take it to pm, but calling the Mekong cat the largest fw fish in the world outright will get you discredited real quick.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Lol......

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Wes I once offered hooking you up with some wels breeders, are you still interested, because you could get 4" albino wels for 10 dollars and 2 feet normals for 50.. + shipping. You'ld have to care about all the shipping though, and I'm not sure if they'd really do it.
yes, the problem is like you said is to find someone to ship them to me, and at the small amount, lets say I get 30 fish x10 that would be $300.00 but shipping for a box plus fish and wildlife inspection fees, shipping, time, and then my effort and profit, it just wouldn't be worth it. that is probably why this fish has rarely been offered in the US in the past, almost non, I only know of one occasion by a few private hobbyists.

the same is like peacock bass are food fish in Brazil, diamond leopoldi were pests and killed by fisherman in Brazil and command tens of thousands in the US.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
My sources are reliable. I will cite scientific grade literature for everything I have said. I am in the process of becoming an ichthyologist. If u want to talk more we can take it to pm, but calling the Mekong cat the largest fw fish in the world outright will get you discredited real quick.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Yes, I agree with you all. Its not the biggest in the world, but certainly would consider it as one of the biggest in the world, alongside all the other mentioned. Like some said, some of the other fish are not pure or strict freshwater fish.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
show me how?
Maybe he likes to receive his fish in an envelop with 1st class stamp, Wes, but Post Office may not allow... :grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store