Common Snapper x Alligator Snapping Turtle??

rudukai13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Colorado
They aren't the same genus, so it would likely be extremely difficult to get it to work. Generally when talking about hybrids you want the two parent animals to be of the same genus at least, splitting at the species level. Makes genetics as similar as possible.

rudukai13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Colorado
I think unless you have the specific training and facility to perform an artificial enseminasion, you shouldn't attempt it. And by training I mean more than reading a couple articles online. Even then, the chances of it taking would probably be slim to none. The problem with the split in genus isn't about getting the two turtles to mate, it's about the differences in genetics that will prohibit the one species' sperm from fertilizing the other's eggs. I'm all for captive hybridization, but some things just won't work together.

redtailcatfreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
Where the gators are
Zfishies;5034183; said:
what if you got the sperm of the common?(vise versa) but how? and then how would u er... "place it in" the alligator

haha i think you can figure that out.:D Just use gloves.

The alligator is not aggresive but the common is. So IMO id go with a male common and female Alligator. Maybe the male would get a little more "frisky and take on the alligator during breeding time. But on the genes issue im not sure about that. i thought they were the same genus just 2 different species?

rudukai13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Colorado
They share a common family but are split into two different genus. I would agree though, not considering the artificial method, you could put two adults together and "hope for the best of luck".

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
redtailcatfreak;5034209; said:
haha i think you can figure that out.:D Just use gloves.

The alligator is not aggresive but the common is. So IMO id go with a male common and female Alligator. Maybe the male would get a little more "frisky and take on the alligator during breeding time. But on the genes issue im not sure about that. i thought they were the same genus just 2 different species?
exacly what i thought lol good idea thought with a male common and female alligator.

rudukai13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Colorado
I believe the general rule for turtles is ten gallons for each inch of carapace, so your 2000g pond would work until they reached a total combined carapace length of 200"...I think you'll be fine for a very long time. Just make sure the water is heated to the proper tempeature and has some basking spots - and a sandy beach area for egg laying, if anything does end up happening.

redtailcatfreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
Where the gators are
Zfishies;5034233; said:
so its basicly impossible without a huge enclousure? i have 2,000g to toy with. still not enough?
What size footprint is it?
i Know the alligator matures at around 12 years old. So at that size You should be good. Is the Pond outside? Can you find these guys around you?

Your best bet would be to keep them in different enclosures. Then during the breeding season which is this time of year. (Ive already seen females with eggs!!) Then put them together. Just like they do with snakes. IMO this would be your best bet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store