Common Snapper x Alligator Snapping Turtle??

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
12x12 i could keep them in diff enclousures but in my other pond i have rtc's and he might get eatin. i could figure something out. so like summer time would be a good time?when does a common mature? i think it would be hard to find a alligator 12 years old lol. clicking the link now, how big should i make the land part?

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
that gave me hope. i just got to find the right alligator snaper. am pretty sure people would buy these? if sol around $10 so i dont have a bunch of hatchling. but IF it does happen i'd keep a male and female to adult

redtailcatfreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
Where the gators are
yeah im sure you could sell them easily. hell id prolly buy one. lol The size of the land is hard to say really. In the wild a snapper can travel up to half a mile from water to lay eggs haha. The age a common matures i am not sure ill try to find that out and get back to you. And about getting a alligator snapper at mature age? Well i think ur best bet would be to go fishin for one, that is if there found by you. When i lived in Indiana i used to catch them. Largest was 125 pounds. But that was when i was 14. LOL I also found dozens of hatchling Alligators just walkin around in the woods and looking in mud holes and creeks. Just drive around and look for em on the roads. Found a 30 pound common on the road last week.

rudukai13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Colorado
Perhaps a better bet at finding at least a more mature ally snapper would be to check craigslist - I'm sure there's got to be at least a few people who are having to sell off their turtles because they're getting too big for their current owners to properly house. As for breeding, I'd suggest reading up on breeding practices for both common alligator snappers, and try to find the commonalities mostly. Do everything you can to fulfill the requirements for both species.

Joe M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
North East
I would buy one, but I think your going to be disappointed. The chances of this happening artificially are minuscule, and I would say its damn near impossible for them to just "do it" themselves. The common would most like just beat the snot out of the gator snapper, or the gator snapper would easily kill the common.

I would bet everything I have that anybody that doesn't own a full blow laboratory wouldn't be able to do this. And even then its a stretch.

Joe M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
North East
Zfishies;5034522; said:
well this is way down the line but no hurt in trying ill be keeping an eye on them tho

Yeah no doubt about that. I wish you luck. I can assure you that if you ever get this too work, I may be your #1 customer.:headbang2

Creek_stomper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
Bros: on the topic of inter-genus breeding... totally possible in turtles. Check out the DBT x False Maps bred (accidentally) by Keith B over on TurtleForum.com http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/index.php?showtopic=79612&st=40

In case it doesn't link straight to it, he has pictures on page 3 of the parents and the offspring. They're really amazing looking creatures, but generally the idea of intentionally doing this is frowned upon in the community.

So, in theory, it's possible. Not probable though.

Josh H

Joe M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
North East
Creek_stomper;5034713; said:
Bros: on the topic of inter-genus breeding... totally possible in turtles. Check out the DBT x False Maps bred (accidentally) by Keith B over on TurtleForum.com http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/index.php?showtopic=79612&st=40

In case it doesn't link straight to it, he has pictures on page 3 of the parents and the offspring. They're really amazing looking creatures, but generally the idea of intentionally doing this is frowned upon in the community.

So, in theory, it's possible. Not probable though.

Josh H

Im not a member and can't view that. Any chance you could post a pic here of the offspring? They sound awesome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store