Ctenopoma in 30 gallon tank?

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
Little update. Ctenopoma is doing well but it's being stubborn. Only eats worms and no pellets. uploadfromtaptalk1417379301264.jpg

Sent from my LGMS500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
So cute when they're little. Glad to hear he's settling in and eating, hopefully you can transition him to dry food in time.

Considering setting up a marbled crayfish breeding tank to give my 5 some snacks.

A couple of poor pics of mine that look to be the same size as yours! Obviously the second one does not lack the snacks.
image.jpgimage.jpg

O

image.jpg

image.jpg

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
It's hard to get good shots of these fish lol
Wow, that one looks like it was gonna pop. Apparently you and I are the only ones into this, so I would love to hear some feedback. Tips to wean them out of live, etc.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I think the first one that I bought years ago was stuck on eating mealworms and wouldn't take anything else.Back then I wasn't aware of starving and training a fish to eat certain foods.That said,they can be stubborn once accustomed to eating a particular item but they can probably be broken with starving though it may take a while.

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
Sounds just like mine. I'm going to try to starve it, and hopefully it'll break and take pellets. Its very annoying having to dig for worms.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Guess I was lucky when I first got mine it took to eating flake right away. Once he got a little bigger he ate pellets. Occasionally I would but him ghost shrimp as a treat and to let him do a little hunting. I've had him a little more than six years now and he's gotten a little pickier. He gets floating cichlid pellet, sinking shrimp pellets and frozen bloodworms. Sometimes he grabs a pellet then spits it out. Just keep offering the pellets and cut back on the worms. He won't starve himself. It's just frustrating, I know.

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
It's hard to get good shots of these fish lol
Wow, that one looks like it was gonna pop. Apparently you and I are the only ones into this, so I would love to hear some feedback. Tips to wean them out of live, etc.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I'm afraid that I'm not a great resource on weaning Ctenopoma specifically, however I usually move fish from live to frozen, frozen to pellet.

I'll be transitioning a 5" BGK and 11" tiretrack eel to pellet here shortly. They are both addicted to frozen brine shrimp and will be soaking pellets in the thawed brine before feeding. I may also soak then re freeze the brine so that when they're nibbling on the floating frozen brine block they may inadvertently get a bit of pellet.

O

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Love these guys!
Here are my three (cohabiting with 5 channa pleurophtalma) in a video taken 8 months ago. Everybody is much bigger now...

[YT]gSPIEwoYSSg[/YT]

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
Thanks a lot guys. Everyone. I'll just stay calm and keep trying.
I knew there were more of you into this fish. Lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store