Ctenopoma in 30 gallon tank?

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Love these guys!
Here are my three (cohabiting with 5 channa pleurophtalma) in a video taken 8 months ago. Everybody is much bigger now...
You should take an updated video! Would love to see it :)

OP sorry I can't be of any help really on the food side, I've been lucky with mine. I dont think he took pellets right away but I was feeding lots of bloodworms and eventually he started going for pellets too.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
@ Ninjouzata
I am moving in the next weeks and this tank I´ll probably move next Sat to my new place.
So I´ll probably wait until they settle in the "new" home before the next video

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Pet smart must breed these guys in the back or something...they seem to only sell really small ones when they have them.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
That's what I have noticed over the years as well. I've never seen one over 1.5" in person.

So far they have ate raw shrimp, red worms and krill pellets. They are still hiding quite a bit so it takes some enticing to get them to come out and eat. I need to pick up a small and social (not always hiding) bottom feeder to clean up the pellets that these guys miss. They blend in almost perfectly with the substrate making it hard to spot clean.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It's good that you have the little guys eating a number of different foods and I would work on getting them onto a more nutritionally complete sinking pellet.Perhaps some type of loach or corydoras catfish would be a good bottom cleaner.

snooklover123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Okay here's waht I know from experience. They grow slow. I mean really slowly. They love canvas and dark holes to hide in. If you don't have hiding places they won't be happy. They need a varied diet. 29 gallon tank is the smallest they can tolerate. I love them cause their hunting style is cool to watch. Cool fish I would highly recommend these fish to anybody

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Add a bunch of plants too...rooted and floating. Mine loves to hang out in the large anubias I have in my 55. Also, they like to hunt at night. If you notice, they have large eyes for night vision. I had a school of harlequins disappear one by one, always during the night.

KNMG

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2006
Tacoma
Thanks guys!!! Now I'm hooked on these guys and have an excuse to get a planted 45 up and running.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store