DAD SAID YES TO HUGE FISH TANK! Need stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Hey Andrew- Are you sure that your current tanks are really costing you $100/month in electricity? That seems high to me.

In regards to heating, if the ambient temperature never falls below 65F, you won't need that many watts. I think 2 watts per gallon would work fine (1,000W heater should do it) assuming that you have the tank insulated on the non-viewing panels and have a cover for it. You could go with 1,500W just to be safe.

I use 1,800W of heaters on my 770G. That's only 2.3 watts per gallon. The air temps in the room drop down into the upper 40s on cold winter nights and the most my heaters would run was 6 hours per day: 1.8KW x 6hrs = 10.8KWhrs. I used a Kill-o-watt to test this out, so I'm not just making these numbers up. Granted, my tank is made out of 1.25" thick acrylic, so that in itself offers some good insulation. I also have tight covers to keep the heat in.

I would be straightforward with your dad in regards to how much electricity a tank this size will use. In addition to insulating the heck out of the tank, you would want to get efficient pumps and lighting to keep your costs under control. In the winter time, I would say the absolute worst case scenario is 400KWHrs per month, but if you buy efficient equipment, I think a more realistic figure would be around 300KWHrs per month in the winter and under 200KWHrs in the summer. If none of this makes sense to you, show this to your pops.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the build.

Tyler2012

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2012
cincinnati
Okay so I was all this time telling my dad how I need a bigger tank for my fish. So I told him when we re redo my basement (flooded from broken window) why can't I build a huge fish tank like 400+ gallons. He was like whatever. But this is your last tank. So I got him to agree with building a huge 400+ gallon tank. Probably going to be in the 500 gallon range. But, my current stock I'm worried about are my cichlids. I have 3 oscars and 3 jack dempseys. Both have possible pairs within them. I'm getting 3 convicts as well. Also pairs within. But I am planning on doing a 500 gallon tank. Any ideas of other stock I can add? I was thinking a Jag pair. Or a lone Jag. As all my fish are really aggressive like more than normally. But I'm thinking of doing a possible stock of this
3- oscars
3- jack dempseys
3- convicts
1- jag (maybe 2. Pair?)
3- sun catfish
2- Senegal bichirs
6- bristlenose plecos
4- common plecos (until 18")
Would this stock work?
I know some pairs might just dominate the tank. But that's why I'm getting them all at a relatively small size. Have the oscars and jacks already at 2"-4.5". But I'd get the jag or jags at maybe a couple inches smaller like when my other fish are at maybe 8" I'd get 3" jags? Idk yet. But I really want jags. Would this stock work? Feel like the tank is too big to find any of the fish lol. It would have some huge driftwood along with like 100 caves all over

-Andrew
Congrats!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Sorry didn't quote it.Wait? So the tank has to be no more than 24"? Sounds awesome. Might just leave it at same length width and just at 24".

-Andrew

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Okay I am going make the hight no more than 24" maybe? Should I make it more than 24"? Or is 24" with the same footprint okay still? (124"x36")

-Andrew

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Okay so I just went down in my basement looking around and measuring some stuff. So I looked in one corner and we have a dent or a half a rectangle that would be PERFECT for a fish tank. But this would destroy my previous plans for size. Now with this setup I will have to do a 7'10" long tank by 4' long by 30" high tank. Those are the final measurements in length for certain. Would my stock list still work in a tank of these dimensions?

-Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store