DAD SAID YES TO HUGE FISH TANK! Need stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantA94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
cumbria
First off, well done on getting your dad on board!

I have to admit, that I personally wouldn't go for any more than two pairs, three at a push. Because, I had a 180 which was run by a pair of convicts, I know that the proposed tank is larger, but if you had two pairs at either end you will lose 2 or 3 foot from both ends. Meaning the fish will have to reside in the centre 4-6 feet. So if there was an extra pair there would be huge fights. I know thats a very simplistic way of looking at things but trust me it could happen, especially with the larger cichlids. If there was no pairs involved you would be okay with a heavier stocking. But it is less about volume and more about floor space with cichlids. The 31" height is no use to anybody IMO, unless you have fish which are tall bodied. I view anything over 24" a waste for cichlids. Just my opinion.

So really you need to go for stocking a 390 not a 480.

Finally you say you want to see them defending their fry as they would in the wild. Well... A JD would never bedefending its fry from an oscar for instance - because they don't even live close. If I were you I would look into a biotope, then youwould get a real indication of the wild. Just a thought!

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Ya I want to do a large, aggressive cichlid tank. So my stock is my choice of aggression. The convicts are only there on the list as I'm getting some so id figure I put them in the larger tank. I also want to see how they can stand their own against some big aggressive cichlids. Think I'm just gonna do a basic stock. That's why I chose my stock choices

-Andrew

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
you do understand though that your 55 15 5 etc is not even close to 500G and you are already apparently paying 100$ per a month for 80G of heating which means you are looking at close to 450$ per a month alone on heating? Just saying...

I dont think u will lose much room with breeding pairs I have 4 pairs of almost full grown red devils breeding in a 6x2x2 and they just stay in there nests if someone comes close its a war but they haven't taken a massive space up (they are all moving to there own tanks soon)

If your stocks what you like then by all means go with it, It will still be nice to look. I would just defiantly reconsider the heating costs your looking at close to $4500 per a year heating that tank and I imagine you wont get rid of it after the first! year you could at least half that, then use the extra money for another tank or fish, again your call if your dads happy to throw it away I guess thats what it is.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ was about to say the same thing... Just adding my 200G i saw a difference in my electric bill... And i was already running a 10, 25 and 60G...

So for you i would imagine it being even more noticeable, especially jumping from 80G total, to 580G total...

Not sure if you pay for water where you live, but that plus electricity will add up quick, especially with feeding bills...

Either way, dont get put off, but it might be an idea running it by your dad first if he has to fork money every month... Last thing you want is your dad caught off guard and wanting to tear your tank down within a year because of what it costs to run...

Also, ambient room temps only help so much unless you run central air 24/7, even my 200G goes up at least a degree or two during the summer months when im at work...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

GrantA94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
cumbria
Okay, well from what I read, you seem to take only select info on board. (not trying ti cause problems, but thats how it comes across).

So until the tank has started to be built I wouldn't worry about stocking. As it is you need to find out whether the tank can go underway and be build/run before stocking is an issue. There will be many problems to overcome before you get to putting fish in and 100% guarantee you wont stick to a stocking list. You will see a fish at your lfs which doesn't come around so often and you'll have to get it. I can relate as I used to bethe same, very impulsive.

My final advice, take it or leave it, take things slow, enjoy the planning/building of the tank as much as the result. Get stuck in and help out. Its half the fun!

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Personally I would not worry about aggression..The aggression that you might see in a three foot tank would mostly be gone at a ten foot tank. As for stock, once you get the tank going, there are plenty of time to make up your mind...Right now the important thing is plan and build...Will it be Andrew's project or Andrew's dad project with Andrew helping? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Parrotsrule

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
United States
Okay just thought of a better stock
3- oscars
3- jack Dempseys
3-convict
3-sun catfish
2- jaguar cichlids
2- Texas cichlids
6- bristlenose plecos
2- common plecos
2- Senegal bichirs
1- dovii?
Would this stock work at all? Not sure on the dovii as I'm pretty sure I can't even get any near me. Would the cichlids parts work though? Name any faults please? I know it will be an extremely aggressive tank. That's what I want though. :D. Also gonna probably load in like 1000 of my breeding snails. I'm pretty sure the convicts don't stand a chance. I wanted to get Texas and jags to crossbreed. So id maybe just get one of each. Any ideas on stock?

-Andrew
You could put wayyyy more fish in there!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Parrotsrule

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
United States
Go with 125 gal you can find a full setup on craigslist for like 500+ and you don't have to pay for so much food and the water bills and you wouldn't have to build and you can fit a good amount of fish in one like 30 for 1 cichlid and then 5-10 for each additional fish.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store