DAD SAID YES TO HUGE FISH TANK! Need stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Okay so I was once again playing around with numbers and I think the perfect tank size for my space would be, 94" long 40" wide 30" tall. This size would be perfect! This would be around 490 gallons.

-Andrew

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Of course Andrew you have thought about building everything including the stand in the basement? I don't see you carry a finished 36" wide tank/stand down the basement stairs.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Of course Andrew you have thought about building everything including the stand in the basement? I don't see you carry a finished 36" wide tank/stand down the basement stairs.
My basement has a work table in it. All things will be built in basement.

-Andrew

CarvinSigX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Illinois
You're still ignoring everyone's questions about the cost to set this thing up AND maintaining it. Have you asked your dad if he can afford the added electricity and water? Can you afford the required chemicals to maintain it? This is a HUGE financial and time commitment to make and it's not even yours to make considering YOU can't afford it in the first place. I wish some of the monster tank owners could give your dad the low down.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

funcolandtrav

Gambusia
MFK Member
500 gallon.. i'd go with better fish.

go with 2-3 black or silver arowanas, some peacock bass, and some rays (if they are legal where you are at).

or if you want to do cichlids go with an all male community tank, don't do pairs.
+1 ^

I would get some better less common cichlids or do arowana or rays like mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Here is a rough idea on wattage break down for a 500 gallon tank.

Heaters: 1500 watts
Return pumps and filters: 250-300watts
Lighting: 200-250 watts
Power heads: 40 watts
Uv sterilizer: 55-60 watts

This is just a rough estimate on wattage as this is similar to what my 450 gallon runs. I'm pretty certain you'll be running a large sump for large setups unless u run 4 x 50 watt Fx5's but that would look too cluttered in your tank with all the intake hoses everywhere. The UV isn't necessary but believe me u would want to run one as monster tanks is a pain to keep the water crystal clear without it. For the water I'm not sure on the exact extra cost as I'm on a flat rate but I'm certain the cost is up there. Run these specs with your dad 1st and see what he says. What I'm trying to say is do your research thoroughly on everything before u build. Trust me u don't want to overwhelm yourself. Believe me I did...

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
To everyone saying I'm ignoring your questions. I'm not. I have discussed this all with my dad. He said that I can build this one more large tank and that's it. Funds aren't really an issue. My dad makes very good pay.

-Andrew

CarvinSigX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Illinois
I looked up NJ power rates. Let's just say it's 0.10/kwh at 2000 watts...That's around $150/month in electricity alone. Even if you conserve energy, there's the additional cost in initial materials. A conservative estimate would be $5000 the first year. That obviously doesn't include the time in labor.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
To everyone saying I'm ignoring your questions. I'm not. I have discussed this all with my dad. He said that I can build this one more large tank and that's it. Funds aren't really an issue. My dad makes very good pay.

-Andrew

Honestly if I was your dad and u using my hard earned money for your own hobbies and pleasure I would literally kick your *** lol. U better treat him good and with respect. Just saying:)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store