Datnoid with Cloudy Eye

chelo

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2011
In my Datsun
Here's a vid. They are looking terrible... :( PLEASE HELP!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XeNn3BNZD8
OMG!!! bro no wounder yor dats r geting cloudy eye... ur tank is way over crowded. just w/t the ray bio load is enough... definetly need to transfer some of ur fishes to another tank to reduce bio load.. keept the salt work.. WC,,bump the temperature and u better do it now or the dats would go blind.. in my opinion bro.. good luck

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
For those of you who are saying overstocked don't forget that he tested for 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite so that can't be the problem. Maybe due to stress of too many fishes in one tank. For now i'd probably try to bump up the temp and add salt..

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
I've had this tank setup like this for over a year. Prior to being in this 420 gallon they were in a 240 gallon (a bit less stock and smaller size, of course). This tank gets water changes 1-2 times per week and the filtration is fairly massive with four Eheim 2262's and a giant wet/dry filter run by an Iwaki 55RLT. The water parameters tested good.

Okay, this morning I just woke up to find my motoro breeding pair DEAD. My 2' long tigrinus is having labored breathing (I thought it was the salt so I didn't add salt yesterday after my 40% WC). The second day of the cloudy eye I had lost my 12" henlei female, but I attributed that to stress since the male motoro was chasing her around. Now, I know it's related. Yesterday, I also added a half dose of melafix. Today, I will proceed to clean filters, transfer fish to a spare 215 gallon and...... I really don't know. What's next?? This is the worst loss that I've had and I'm not sure what the next step is. This motoro pair recently had it's first litter of 4 pups.

Things that I've changed recently:
Added one new 7" NGT
Added one new 14" niger cat (found out later that this fish was with natives recently collected - might be the problem!)
Switched to Seachem Safe powder from Prime liquid about 2 months ago
I put 2 sponge filters in the sump about 3 days ago, but these were brand new from the LFS. (wanted to seed these filters for another tank)

My best guess at this point is that the niger or NGT brought a "bug" with them. I know the guys that I picked them up from (2 separate tanks), and I trusted them which is why they were not quarantined. Now, I found out that one of them (niger) was housed with recently collected Texas Cichlids. I'm guessing parasites or bacterial. What should I do next?? I'm thinking Clout, but I don't want to unnecessarily stress them out any more. I've lost too much.

Thanks MFK!

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
Ok, I just went to cleaning my w/d filter first and I found the decomposing body of a motoro pup on my prefilter pad. I guess that's it, but why did my parameters show good???? Plus these pups are small! I didn't realize one dead pup could disrupt the entire tank. I'm doing a massive water change right now and will be buying new test kits today. Thanks for everyone's help. I hope this works.....

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
Just finished 60% water change with double dose of Safe to get any excess ammonia. The tigrinus cat already looks better as does the marble motoro.

For those that think my tank is over stocked... I've been running this 420gal for a long time now with this number of fish (> 1 year). They've always been super happy and eat great. The main reason for so many fish is to spread aggression because the dats were battling constantly, as were the aros, etc. My filtration system is massive enough to handle these fish. I run four Eheim 2262's and a HUGE wet dry filter for aeration and even more bio.

As for the pup, it was the first litter from this pair that I've had for 2 years. I was not around when she delivered her pups and I thought she only had 3 (she's only about 14 inches disc diam.). Well, turns out she had 4. One must have slipped into the overflow and down onto the prefilter pad for my w/d filter. Really sad to lose my prized rays (especially my henlei female), but $h!t happens. Now, I am concentrating on getting the tank back in order and getting the ammonia burned eyes healed up. I will be adding salt and doing 30-40% water changes every other day until they are healed up unless someone has a better suggestion. Also, thinking of buying slime coat to heal the eyes some that way. Melafix???

Anyways, thanks so much for everyone's help.

Best regards, MFK!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store