Datnoid with Cloudy Eye

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
I suspected something in your filtration system but wow a decomposing ray pup. This is something out of your control..... don't feel too bad. Had you not physically checked your filtration system, more than likely ALL of your stock would have been wiped out. I feel for your loss, but now concentrate on those that did survive.....

Massive water changes (50%), and double the regular dose of prime for the next couple of water changes. Best of luck.

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
My god that sucks... You mist have one massive over flow for an entire pup to get sucked up. If it were me I'd be doing 70% changes, but I am a fan of huge wc's.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
How long was the pup decomposing for? It's so weird that a single fish would disrupt a system that much. Even if it completely decomposed. Possibly that + your bioload was just too much to handle.

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
How long was the pup decomposing for? It's so weird that a single fish would disrupt a system that much. Even if it completely decomposed. Possibly that + your bioload was just too much to handle.
What!! There's nothing wierd about it. The decomposing ray pup is more than enough to cause major problems.....even in a larger system..... heck, if the ray pup fully decomposed, all fish would be dead guaranteed.....

I remember a decomposing apple snail wrecking havoc in my 50 gallon.....the stench alone is almost unbearable....can't imagine a ray.

BTW, your signature quote is pretty cool.

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
The ray pup was almost completely decomposed (born on 9/4). The only reason I knew the mass was a ray pup was the barb sticking out of the tail was visible. Everyone seems better in the tank now. I did a large water change this morning (60%), and I'm doing another 50% WC as I type this with double dose of slime coat in hopes that it will aid in the healings from the ammonia poisoning. I feel as though the dats are moving around better and the sole remaining ray (marble motoro) is moving around nicely, as well. The 2' long tig is still not moving around like he normally does, but I'm crossing my finders as he is my fave behind my big ST.

Thanks to all for your help and inquiries. I'm hoping the ammonia poisoning to the dats eyes completely heals, but it's really bad on some.... such a crazy hobby.

Take care,
Peter

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Glad it seems they are getting better. Just curious, when you first added salt, and things got worse the next day, why did you continue adding salt?

I never been a great fan of salt, I have used it before, but I prefer good old water changes...not Massive ones though..
If I think there are issues with my fish, I do 3-4 nr 25% wc/week. normally i do 2 x 25%/week. Salt is very popualr in US for treating fish, not so much here in uk.
Good q water will clear up cloudy eyes in no time. Usually 2-4 days with me.

Your tank sounds impressive. Decent volume and 4 nr. 2260's!!!! I love that filter from eheim.

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
Glad it seems they are getting better. Just curious, when you first added salt, and things got worse the next day, why did you continue adding salt?

I never been a great fan of salt, I have used it before, but I prefer good old water changes...not Massive ones though..
If I think there are issues with my fish, I do 3-4 nr 25% wc/week. normally i do 2 x 25%/week. Salt is very popualr in US for treating fish, not so much here in uk.
Good q water will clear up cloudy eyes in no time. Usually 2-4 days with me.

Your tank sounds impressive. Decent volume and 4 nr. 2260's!!!! I love that filter from eheim.
Actually, they're 2262's. LOL. A bit more flow with the same volume to hold a ton of bio. I love em, too!

To answer your question about the salt... I continued to add salt and perform water changes because I wanted to begin the healing process and clean up the water. The fact that they were getting worse was so confusing, but I figured that they would eventually turn for the better. Massive water changes really get your water to where it needs to be in times like this... along with extra dosing with Prime or Safe to react with any residual ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. NaCl aids the healing process by increasing the slime coating that most fish use for protection against disease, parasites, etc. I also bought a bottle of Slime Coat to help, too (although I rarely use the stuff).

All fish look a ton better. Some of the dats eyes are clearing up, but several of them look bad still... I just cross my fingers that it's not permanent. I will post a vid when I get home pre-disaster. It really is a beautiful setup.

Thanks, MFK!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store