Disapearing Wrasse

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
yeah keep up with the water changes to prevent the ammonia getting really high. due to the fact that you have fish in there still this becomes more vital. It also tells me that you have had ammonia for atleast 4 days because your nitrites are reading. Im biting my tounge because you have a 150 gallon tank so either your not doing enough water changes or your over feeding the tank??

whats your feeding schedual like and how much???

How much water do you do and how often??

Whats your source of water??

Whats your filtration?

I may have asked these already so my bad lol.

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
Found out my problem or at least some of it. I used maricine a couple weeks ago cause my angel had a sore on its side that wouldnt go away and the lunare wrasse looked to be getting fin and tail rot so I was told by a lfs that this is a good product to use, didnt know that it would cause my tank to mini cycle again and I read the instructions and it says nothing about that, just that it would be best to use a quarintene take, so thats probably whats happening

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
forgot to answer your questions? I feed once per day, usually, sometimes twice on the weekends not leaving much if anything left over, I have a oversize sump with mag 2400, I use our well water and I change out 10-15 gallons a week (usually 10 gallons)

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Do me a favor. Take a sample of tank water and sample of water from the tap.Test the two and post the results. Be sure to use freshwater on tap and saltwater and saltwater lol. Not trying to be mean or anything just makin sure. Post the results.

Im lookin for readins on:

Ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
ph
alk
phosphate

Maracine may have caused the tank to mini cycle. I hope you removed carbon if you were using any. Did you plan on ever adding corals to that tank??

I also avoid adding chemicals to my tank. Only thing ever added is coral food, trace elements and maybe a buffer for Ph and ALK if needed. I would strongly advise against this to prevent damage to rock, because it absorbs most of the meds and may kill "internal life"

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
I didnt want to add any chemicals but I listened to lfs. This is a fish only system and dont intend to have corals, very cool but i like my bigger fish. I dont have any live rock. I thought I posted my vitals but anyways: ammonia 0, nitrites .25, nitrates 10-15, ph 8.0, phosphate was off the scale at over 10, dont know why cause at the tap its 0, the ph at the tap is 7.8 and every thing else was 0 at the tap. No alk test. What is making my phospates so high? Could lava rock have anything to do with this?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
very possible. I dont know much about lava rock but i believe its very high in silicates which may be causing more algae growth, but as far as i know nothing to do with phosphate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lava_rock heres what i found out

When you test the tap, test it after it has been sitting around for a few hours

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
Yea I tested first thing this morning, but I think I used the wrong color card for salt so did it again and it looks like .25-.50 (phosphate)

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
I was just reading on www.aquariumport.com that lava rock is actually good for the tank as it lowers nitrates, so what makes phosphates or causes them? Also it is cheap at my local landscaping supplier for about 13.00 for 70 lbs.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
nitrate and phosphate are made by the same thing really. Waste and food decaying in a tank. Local companys add phosphate to prevent copper corrosion, but you dont need to worry about that because you have well water, right??

Well water can be high in phosphates because of run off and what not, thats why you should let the tap water sit around for a few hours before you test it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store