documenting my Alligators growth rate (w/pics)

AnaB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
USA
Hello everyone. Our gars might be siblings! I got mine around november 8 from the same place. He was also 3inches and now in January he is 12inches. I tried switching him to dry food but he won't give in and I don't have the heart to let him starve until he takes the dry food. I was a bit shocked that I paid over 100 for him but he is way worth it. This is Bruce :lol2:

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
Awesome gar man. I'm hoping mine hits 12" before the end of the month. But ya they are great gars.

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
The tank he is in right now is a 100gal. I have stopped supplying him with goldfish and will start getting him on frozen foods.

Nextstep for him will be the 12x6x3 1500gal which should last a few years until I expand it to 12x12 as I designed it to be modular wich should last at least 3 more years. I'm still in the design/savings stage for the final tank ;)

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
24hrs. yes thats right 24hrs is how long it took him to get off of feeders and onto prepared foods. Thats approximately 3 1/2 weeks faster than my florida. lol

I used a piece of fishing line and ran it through a cut up piece of shrimp and dangled it the water sure enough he took it!
IMGP0157.JPG
In the water. Its a bad pic sense you cant see him but ill make a feeding vid soon. YA no more feeders!
IMGP0158.JPG

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
I have never known of a gator that took longer than about 1/2 hour to take cut or prepared foods. These days, with those available from an LFS, it should come even quicker. After all it is pellets that they are being raised on before it is shipped out of the aquaculture facility..

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Pejelajarto;4801895; said:
I have never known of a gator that took longer than about 1/2 hour to take cut or prepared foods. These days, with those available from an LFS, it should come even quicker. After all it is pellets that they are being raised on before it is shipped out of the aquaculture facility..
remember those gator gar embryos that we were raising? if i recall correctly they were taking chopped shrimp at about 3-5 days post-hatch! :)

then again i may not be recalling correctly...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store