Dog Food

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I used Eukanaba for years with my Oscars and Pacu's no problems except their growth rate I felt was a bit accelerated...Never bought fish pellets for them the LFS stock was too small in size.. I also used to have a pair of IRD's who loved Purina cat chow, tuna flavored. They would come to the top and almost literally take it out of my hand........all where very healthy. You have to get creative when your fish start to break the 8" mark....

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Mr Pleco;1071327; said:
fish pellets for them the LFS stock was too small in size
Agreed. Dog Food pellets are like 2 times bigger then the biggest pellets i have seen at my LFS... Beside the wafers. So u dont have to give them as many :)

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
Well....the only real concern I would have would be WAY the food is made. Dog food is typically coated in fat and what not and I would imagine it mess up your water quality. Of course if you do huge frequent water changes like most of us on this site do...it might not really matter.

However if you are going to feed dog food, for the love of god don't use pedigree. That garbage should not be fed to DOGS much less fish. Nutro Ultra all the way baby.

salsa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
In Your Imagination
cenecker;1071359; said:
Well....the only real concern I would have would be WAY the food is made. Dog food is typically coated in fat and what not and I would imagine it mess up your water quality. Of course if you do huge frequent water changes like most of us on this site do...it might not really matter.

However if you are going to feed dog food, for the love of god don't use pedigree. That garbage should not be fed to DOGS much less fish. Nutro Ultra all the way baby.
:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:
Dog food is nutrious, then sprayed with fat and meaty flavorings.

salsa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
In Your Imagination
Pellets of dry dog food, called kibble, is primarily produced by one of two methods: extrusion and baking. During the extrusion process, cut dough or a mixture of raw materials is fed into an expander, while pressurized steam or hot water is added. When removed from the high pressure that results, the pellets puff like popcorn. The resultant kibble is allowed to dry, then sprayed with vitamins, grease, or any other ingredients that are not heat-tolerant.
Wikipedia

They spray it in grease, they dont do that to fish food

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
why not just make the food, and instead of grease add garlic, and vitamins.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Ever thought about getting the game fish chow made by Purina? It's dog food priced fish food............

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store