Dog Food

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Long ago when I was a kid, I feed my oscars and jack dempseys dry cat food. Mainly the fish flavored type. After spending 12-13 years away from the hobby, I got back into with my son. He had 4x 6-7" pacu, thinking back ,I decided to try cat food again. The pacu ate it, but it seemed to cloud the water. I quit feeding because against fish food it seemed to have more fat and less protien.

I have heard, but don't know for sure, that purina makes a bulk fish food pellet.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
Bizzaro;1070930; said:
Who here can give me a good reason not to feed it to some of my fish? It seems like a cheaper way to feed my monsters... at 10dollors for 10lbs of feed. My friend did this with his Oscar for 5yrs tell it died from a dead filter one week. Im using Pedigree right now. here are the Ingredients.

Ground Whole Corn, Rice, Salmon Meal (Source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids*), Corn Gluten Meal, Meat and Bone Meal (Natural Source of Calcium), Chicken By-Product Meal (Natural Source of Glucosamine), Natural Poultry Flavor, Wheat Flour, Animal Fat (Preserved with BHA/BHT), Potassium Chloride, Wheat Gluten, Carmel Color, Vegetable Oil (Source of Linoleic Acid), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate [Source of Vitamin E], L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate [Source of Vitamin C*], Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement [Vitamin B2], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide), Added FD&C and Lake Colors (Yellow 6, Blue 2, Red 40, Yellow 5).
this isn't even safe for dogs to eat.. why would you want to poison your fish with it too? dogs are CARNIVORES, as are your fish..

philliptobin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2005
Indiana
I feed my rtc and oscar catfood during the winter months to supplement his fish diet. The rtc is about four years old and 23 inches long and the Oscar is about 10 inches long, their color has always been good. I had problems with the water clouding when I over fed. I bought a bag of floating catfish food the first year I had it and the water was always cloudy and the fish always eat every bit of food I put in the tank. The oscar was about 3 inches and the RTC was about 5 inches.

Greenaveli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2006
Ny to Fl and Back Again
I feed my 50lb puppy dog food. I can't really see me giving my 16oz fish the same food. Just would feel a oil weird and can't be good. Save up and get the massivore.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Never had a problem with dog food and fish health or cloudy water.

My natives love canned the best, including the soft shell turtle...I just rinse off the gravy.

Do you have a Feed & Farm store near you? If they don't stock it they can order fish chow used for fish farms in several types including tilapia, koi and trout.

Dr Joe

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Personally, I wouldn't do it. Dog food is made far to differently from fish food. Their digestive systems aren't even close to similar. You are setting yourself up for problems.

Look at it this way. Would you eat dog food as a staple? I mean if you are going to say the ingredients look ok for fish, they are the same ingredients that humans take in right? So why not?

Fish food for fish.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
mmmm trying to save a few $$ on food if you cant afford to feed the big fish get smaller fish then they will be cheaper to feed

what dog food are you going to give the fish to give them a healthy shinny coat strong teeth and good bowl movment

good luck

if its all the same why do they make diffrent foods for dogs and cats

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Dr Joe, Which food are u using?

Angel51087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2007
UK
If you're gonna feed a dog food, on which is your own choice, I would choose a better quality one! If it were me I would go for a much more natural/no additives etc. food

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store