Dog Food

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
rallysman;1071425; said:
Ever thought about getting the game fish chow made by Purina? It's dog food priced fish food............
Has anyone tried this??

odalisay

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2006
At the foot of the cross
Dr Joe;1071731; said:
Never had a problem with dog food and fish health or cloudy water.

My natives love canned the best, including the soft shell turtle...I just rinse off the gravy.

Do you have a Feed & Farm store near you? If they don't stock it they can order fish chow used for fish farms in several types including tilapia, koi and trout.

Dr Joe

I agree. Go to a feed store and see if they can get some fish feed for you. A lfs near me sell it for $1.75lb. They sell 3 different kinds. Here is a link to Purina website they make several different types. You can ask for it by name.
http://www.purinamills.com/OurProducts.aspx?product=fish
GL in your fish keeping.

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
I have some big red devils, i feed them Pedigree Small Breed 3 times a week, they are in great shape. Twice a week Hikari Gold and a little fresh shrimp a couple of times a week.

There is no problem feeding high quality dog food, 4 years experience here, do not let the "internet experts" influence you, they read and regurgitate, not too much experience.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
cichlid savage;1072453; said:
Has anyone tried this??
I'm using it for my Giant Gourami. It's 32% protein, he loves it, and is growing very fast.

Yakuza-Irezumi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
In a Tattoo Studio
ewurm;1070992; said:
I don't feel comfortable feeding that at all, it's not made for fish. I feed Omega One and Hikari Gold, I don't want HITH and I want the best color. If I wanted to save money, HBH has some decent quality foods at a lower price. Or Hikari Cichlid Staple.
It isn't made for fish.......and the HITH is a definate concern with all the mammilian protiens.Not a mod for nothing.Double Negative.....

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
I've used brands of cat/dog food that I cannot remember as bait in traps for catching small fish (american flag fish, 5 star generals, the occasional convict or green terror) to use as bait when fishing (on Oahu).

It really screws with their intestinal tracts, after 6-8 hours they get very bloated and have bob to the surface, eventually (24+ hours) several will physically "pop" and their intestines will burst from their body.

Not a pretty sight. I say use with caution if at all, as mammalian fat is terrible for fish. I don't recall the brand, all I know was that it was for cats and was in an orange bag, very greasy.

Greenaveli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2006
Ny to Fl and Back Again
reverse;1072640; said:
There is no problem feeding high quality dog food, 4 years experience here, do not let the "internet experts" influence you, they read and regurgitate, not too much experience.
Comment sounded a lil harsh. I didnt see the internet expert section but i know the question was what do we think. I breed top of the line show pitbulls and i drive 60miles to get top of the line dogfood. But i can sure tell you that my dog and my fish wont be eating out the same bowl.

BOTR

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
Can anyone reccomend a good flake food for my dog?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
reverse;1072640; said:
I have some big red devils, i feed them Pedigree Small Breed 3 times a week, they are in great shape. Twice a week Hikari Gold and a little fresh shrimp a couple of times a week.

Ya and there's people out that have been feeding thier fish, live feeder goldfish for years and will tell ya how healthy and happy the fish are.

I really don't have any idea what affect dog food will have on your fish. I do know that fish and dogs are very different animals, so you would think the food for each would be quite different.

it's not a bad idea to save some bucks, i picked up a 50 pound bag today to feed to my teenagers:grinno:

Greenaveli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2006
Ny to Fl and Back Again
Hikari Doggivore. Oh sorry u said flake so try Omega Paw Super Color Coat or Fidomin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store