Droopy eye on silvers information gathering thread.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Gr8KarmaSF;771185; said:
i know, i know, but let newbies go throu it themselves. he is learning.
ok ok ill stop derailing before oddball gives me an infraction....
why "learning" ? the guy looks like he knows what he is doing with his aro's..seems to have more aro's than many one aro professor we got here in MFK...:)

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Miguel;771193; said:
why "learning" ? the guy looks like he knows what he is doing with his aro's..seems to have more aro's than many one aro professor we got here in MFK...:)
LOL i say learning because we all are constantly learning here on MFK. I was also going off his post count which i should not do, sorry if i offended you, its a bad judgement on my part. Lord knows that post counts doesnt mean one is smarter around here.:ROFL:

rod - feel free to pm me if you want this thread cleaned up....sorry bro - i swear last derailed post!!!

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Gr8KarmaSF;771196; said:
LOL i say learning because we all are constantly learning here on MFK. I was also going off his post count which i should not do, sorry if i offended you, its a bad judgement on my part. Lord knows that post counts doesnt mean one is smarter around here.:ROFL:

rod - feel free to pm me if you want this thread cleaned up....sorry bro - i swear last derailed post!!!
:) :) :ROFL:

rodclement

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2006
USA
Gr8KarmaSF;771196; said:

LOL:ROFL: Man...I have posted in so many forums to know better...my goal is to breed silvers..I have been through discus (lot's of success), stingrays (with little success), and now am focusing on arowanas, it just seems to me that for such a popular fish, there is still more mistique and oppinoins out there than actual data, similar to when Discus were unmanagable, or stingray unkeepable...sorry if I am showing how long I have been with fish...around 28 years for me...

If droopy eye is indeed genetic, then we should be able to breed it out of the strain, if not and it is environmental, then finding the cause would help everyone in keeping healthier fish. I have read many threads on the subject, and they all end up in arguments or non-specific data, that is why I kept the open ended questions, looking for oppinions and first hand experience so we can compile data and compare...maybe I should not do it and just keep my project to myself...what good would that do for the hobby...?

Anyway, post if you would like, if not the thread will go away and who cares? Just trying to use a fish forum for something other than making fun of people, this is not a gag forum is it?

Sorry for the rant...not aimed at anyone...JMO

Rod

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
It would be interesting to see if you got several breeding pairs of aros keeping them in the same environment/tank and to see if it was a dominant or recessive trait throu interbreeding. Thou to do this would take lots of money, time, and space.

Hardest part would be to get several breeding pairs and then to raise their young and breed them as well...

rod - i like your attitude bro!

rodclement

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2006
USA
:)
Gr8KarmaSF;771237; said:
It would be interesting to see if you got several breeding pairs of aros keeping them in the same environment/tank and to see if it was a dominant or recessive trait throu interbreeding. Thou to do this would take lots of money, time, and space.

Hardest part would be to get several breeding pairs and then to raise their young and breed them as well...

rod - i like your attitude bro!
Thanks! Agreed, my biggest problem is space and time, with discus they mature quickly and space is not an issue, arowanas...god...but if it was easy we would call them guppies, not monster fish!

Difficult to find adult stock with no droop eye, that is why I was wondering the cause for it, I will see how it goes but we are looking at years, and not months, simmilar to the Heckel Discus project, breeding sporadicaly does not determine genetic traits, or even determine success but luck, doing it on a regular basis will take time and patience...

I have both!:)

Rod

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Rod, wellcome!!:)

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I picked up my first aro 4 months ago. At what size does drop eye usually rear its ugly head?
KNH

rodclement

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2006
USA
KNH;771335; said:
I picked up my first aro 4 months ago. At what size does drop eye usually rear its ugly head?
KNH
I've seen mostly from 10 inch fish on up, most of the reports I read are between 12 and 14 inch fish, anyone else?

Rod

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store