Droopy eye on silvers information gathering thread.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
KNH;771407; said:
Mine is ~16" at this point. Is it still a concern?
KNH
I don't think it is worth worrying about because there is really nothing that you can do about it. Only things you can do is provide a proper sized tank, keep the water parameters pristine and feed a healthy diet, all of this is what you should be doing anyhow.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Bderick67;771418; said:
I don't think it is worth worrying about because there is really nothing that you can do about it. Only things you can do is provide a proper sized tank, keep the water parameters pristine and feed a healthy diet, all of this is what you should be doing anyhow.
I'm not worried just trying to educate myself. Does anyone have an aro that developed drop eye after 16" ?
Thanks
KNH

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Bderick67;771191; said:
Well here are the stats for my 15-16" silver aro that has not developed drop eye. Owned since Feb 11th 2006 at 3.5". Spent 6 months in 55 gallon tank with single 40 watt lamp and grew to 7-8". Spent the next 6 months in a 75g tank with 2 40 watt lamps and grew to 14". Has spent the last 6-7 weeks in a 120 gallon with 260 watts of light and now is between 15 -16". So my silver does contradict your first couple of sitsuations.

If the drop eye is do to genetics, well then this is all for not.
do you know if your aro was wild caught or captive bred?

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
rodclement;771207; said:
LOL:ROFL: Man...I have posted in so many forums to know better...my goal is to breed silvers..I have been through discus (lot's of success), stingrays (with little success), and now am focusing on arowanas, it just seems to me that for such a popular fish, there is still more mistique and oppinoins out there than actual data, similar to when Discus were unmanagable, or stingray unkeepable...sorry if I am showing how long I have been with fish...around 28 years for me...

If droopy eye is indeed genetic, then we should be able to breed it out of the strain, if not and it is environmental, then finding the cause would help everyone in keeping healthier fish. I have read many threads on the subject, and they all end up in arguments or non-specific data, that is why I kept the open ended questions, looking for oppinions and first hand experience so we can compile data and compare...maybe I should not do it and just keep my project to myself...what good would that do for the hobby...?

Anyway, post if you would like, if not the thread will go away and who cares? Just trying to use a fish forum for something other than making fun of people, this is not a gag forum is it?

Sorry for the rant...not aimed at anyone...JMO

Rod

similar goal. i am trying ( long range) to breed blacks....i have 4 and would like to make it six and raise them hoping to get a breeding pair.............

i have two silvers with drop eye....got them that way...........

however.................. i also have a gigas with one drop eye...............which he developed in my care.........

imo which is not scientific at this point i believe it to be caused by one of two reasons.......

1) fatty tissue buildup behind the eye...pushing it out
2) physical shock/injury to the head........

remember gigas are the other bony tongue fish..........
there certainly could be genetics involved but they may not be the root cause....... any other thoughts are welcome the above is just ime / imo

john

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
rodclement;771051; said:
OK, so it feels like every thread about silvers ends up having something to do with droopy eyes...I tought we could start talking about specific set-ups that generate droop eye fish, or not.

For example, it seems to be straight forward that if you keep a silver in a pond or non-glass container, it's eyes will be normal, be it for whatever reason, but if you take a silver from the same source and put in a glass tank, droop eye will occur...

I have silvers in both settings and have to say that the above holds true for me, the ones in glass tanks have developed the crazy eye, the ones in the rubbermaid container have not. They have all been fed the same way, and water quality is the same.

Generally speaking the ones in the containers are in larger water volumes, so maybe their overall health may be better due to the increased space (?).

The ones in glass tanks have the folowing options offered as causes, damage due to hitting the lid all the time, overhead intense lighting, little exercise and fatty diets, too much movement in the side of the tank (therefore causing the fish to focus downward (?)), little surface agitation, etc.

Anyone care to elaborate or add to any of the perceived causes?

I am going to offer the following, I will take two healthy fish with no "crazy eye", and put one in each setting and let them grow out and observe, also will take a normal fish from a container and put it into a glass tank to see if the deformity develops.

Now I never heard of an arowana recovering from droopy eye other then by surgery, can anyone report on that? Has anyone personally achieved that? Not heard of, but done it him/herself?

Lastly, no experiment can be conducted alone, anyone else interested in trying? It would be awesome to have another control group, and the only thing we have to do is what we done anyway, care for our fish.

Feedback? Thanks! Rod
Great idea, keep us posted! Welcome to MFK, wish we had more like you!:D You rock!:headbang2

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
rodclement;771207; said:
LOL:ROFL: Man...I have posted in so many forums to know better...my goal is to breed silvers..I have been through discus (lot's of success), stingrays (with little success), and now am focusing on arowanas, it just seems to me that for such a popular fish, there is still more mistique and oppinoins out there than actual data, similar to when Discus were unmanagable, or stingray unkeepable...sorry if I am showing how long I have been with fish...around 28 years for me...

If droopy eye is indeed genetic, then we should be able to breed it out of the strain, if not and it is environmental, then finding the cause would help everyone in keeping healthier fish. I have read many threads on the subject, and they all end up in arguments or non-specific data, that is why I kept the open ended questions, looking for oppinions and first hand experience so we can compile data and compare...maybe I should not do it and just keep my project to myself...what good would that do for the hobby...?

Anyway, post if you would like, if not the thread will go away and who cares? Just trying to use a fish forum for something other than making fun of people, this is not a gag forum is it?

Sorry for the rant...not aimed at anyone...JMO

Rod
Nice, well put......definately seems like a positive project to persue. Good luck once again, seems you know your stuff.....cant wait for future update on the matter. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store