Droopy eye on silvers information gathering thread.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
we will all be waiting for Johns and Rod's breeding projects...:) keep us posted, guys!

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
demjor19;771892; said:
do you know if your aro was wild caught or captive bred?
I asked this question where I purchased the aro, but 6 months after the I got him. The store owner said he could not be sure but believes that 90-95% of the Silvers that he gets from his supplier are collected in the wild the grown out before distribution The other 5-10% are from breeders in asia. He had also mentioned that the wild collected are shipped to asia for growing out.

So I really don't know that just what I was told.

patrickjohnsgarcia

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2008
philippines
silvers tend to look downward often when they are in an aquarium...or overfeeding cuz they tend to accumulate fats behind their eyes... try putting them in a quiet place away from human and animal traffic and keep shiny objects away from the tank and keep the place dark....

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
patrickjohnsgarcia;2235871; said:
silvers tend to look downward often when they are in an aquarium...or overfeeding cuz they tend to accumulate fats behind their eyes... try putting them in a quiet place away from human and animal traffic and keep shiny objects away from the tank and keep the place dark....
Wow this is an old one, I would disagree with both these above ideas for the cause of DE.

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
While i have no intention to breed any of my fish, i am curious about this DE phenomenon. There seems to be no conclusive conclusion on it. My last silver had DE on one side. I hope that at least one of my threes will not get any - wins the right to stay inside the house. I hedge my odds by getting three rather than one. I got all three aros from three different fish shops at ~4" (puny juvenilles). Currently all are pushing 16"-18".
The silvers are several month old each.

I got two tanks indoor with silvers. I do not generally use overhead lights (even though i got them).

One tank (72"x18") has two silvers, asian and two marble pims (ex-tank mates were 2 kois and 2 red-bellied Pacus).

The other (80"x22") tank has two arapaimas, silver, jar and bichir.

SO FAR

The silver with paimas shows the most promise. Its eyes are completely like the one of the juvenile i.e. not bulging at all and always looking sideways (i have yet to see it look downwards at all). The plummage is average (no color and not especially deep)

The one of the two silvers starting to show signs of potential DE. The other one is still OK. Both have eyes that are bulging a little bit (yikes). The plumage of both is quite rich (deep) and have slight tinge on edges - very pretty. The lower jaws of two is also protruding more than the single one. Barbells on all three aros are quite nice.

The one living with paimas is leaner than the other two - constant exercise and lookout? It eats quite sparingly (after paimas have had their share). The other two have food abundance due to lack of competition (except among themselves... asian aro waits its turn in general). they are quite chunky.

None of the aros are particularly sociable ...much to my great dissapointment :cry: (i have seen my friends silver beg for food). None of the silvers are jumpers - in any case i do not encourage them to jump. The tank is completely bare except for submersibles so chances of injury during chases are slight. See the example of each.

MY GUESS

The lone silver has to swim alot due to stronger current from the pump. It has to constantly avoid paimas during feeding (paimas are quite violent when eating). It is buddied up with jar which also swims alot due to presence of paimas. Proof of no aggression is a completely presitine fins on jar and silver (no damage to scale either). The only bottom dweller is bichir which hides behind submersible when not in motion on the look out for food. No food is EVER left in this tank. The reflection at the bottom is there because foam is white. The fins are almost totally white =( no hint of color what so ever (much to my dissappointment). The fins are not so deep. The diet includes feeders (from agri farm nursery), crikets, hikari, frogs (very rarely prawns).

The two other silvers have lots of feeders left overs due to their preference of crickets and frogs and pellets (so they definitely do not spend time looking at the bottom for food). Pims usually hide in the corners are motionless except during feeding. Before that there were Kois to look at the bottom. Only one non-dominant aros has not "perfect" finnage. Both have slightly colored fins (love that) . Asian is completely untouched.

PS: excuse the water in paima tank
PS: click on pics for slighly larger view. The first three pics are the aro pair. The last two are of the one living with paimas

potential DE.JPG

potential DE1.JPG

bulging eyes.JPG

no DE.JPG

com shot.JPG

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
By the way, i have seen tanks for asian aros made around here (laos and thailand) that are tinted black on all sides adn bottom except for the front view.

Supposedly makes the coloration more intense. I wonder if it helps to prevent DE also. Will try out soon. Will be getting myself new year present (tinted 8x3x3 with in-built filtration)

triquee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2008
Sydney
I have just purchased myself a 7cm silver aro (do your conversions people, length of your pinky). It set me back a whopping $250 AUD. For this fact i hate living in Australia when you are into aquaria. Everything is so much more expensive than anywhere else in the world! Sorry a little of topic, but just wanted to join in this interesting but revisited topic.

This is my first aro, and find it fascinating and educating that fish lovers such as yourself can share knowledge by use of these forums. I don't understand all the bull crap that goes around sometimes. Which detracts from the valuable information that should be shared. If you can't say anything positive or at least give positive criticism. Keep it out of the thread. Your sh*t stirring doesnt help anybody. I see alot of show boating about peoples so called knowledge on the threads, and im not impressed.

Guys continue to do your great work - i really look forward to seeing the results of this home experiment. If enough people with the funds, space, and time pick up on this idea. This DE phenomenon may eventually be nutted out by proper breeding techniques. Until then - happy fish keeping!

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
This is a very old thread and was started back when my silver had yet to develop DE. It now has DE in both eyes. With both eyes on two seperate occasions The DE developed within a short time(by the next day) after the arowana smashed it's head against the side glass and top glasss of the aquarium.

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
My 2 footer has it....I think it see's a penny on my floor....damn pennies. :nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store