Drop eye, to the extreme

warman98

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2010
Portugal
dE can happen to any silver aro at any size. all it takes is for it to hit its eye really hard against the glass or any other object in the tank. that tank looks too small. 95% sure de is because of head/eye trauma.
Interesting.. Never heard that before..
But all drop eye tend to occur in bigger aros and these usually are more calm and tend to hit less on the glass. Wouldn't this too mean that asian and australian aros would get drop eye?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
The aro pictured is over 7 years old, I have raised her since I got her a 2-2.5" back in january of '06. She is now 30" and resides in a 450g 96x36x30", this has been her home since Aug of '09. She first develop DE in one eye almost instanly at 16", about 1.25 years old. While moving from a 75g tank into a 180g tank. She experienced pretty severe head trauma while I was attempting to catch her in the 75g. The next morning the DE was apparent. Couple of months later while cleaning her tank she got spooked and slammed into the top bracing glass. Gashing her head, that evening I noticed the DE in the other eye. The DE has progressively gotten worse over the years.

My other large silver had DE in one eye when I got it at 21" and has gradually develop DE in it's other eye over the years. Though the DE is not as severe as in the silver aro pictured.

There is no doubt in my mind that head trauma is a contibuting factor to the development of DE in arowana, if not the main cause.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Still a nice silver Brian. I am with you as you know on the head trauma. Seen it first hand many times. The most rememberable time was when my little aro bailed onto the floor and go instant de. Still one of the smallest ones with it.

You just need to host a meet at your house so all the "aro experts" can see how big they get and how they need bigger housing then most claim. "I mean 30" isn't that much more then 24". It could live in a 180gal for life.";)

We could call it a seminar labeled Arowana 101.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London

heres a bad one

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

warman98

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2010
Portugal
Still a nice silver Brian. I am with you as you know on the head trauma. Seen it first hand many times. The most rememberable time was when my little aro bailed onto the floor and go instant de. Still one of the smallest ones with it.

You just need to host a meet at your house so all the "aro experts" can see how big they get and how they need bigger housing then most claim. "I mean 30" isn't that much more then 24". It could live in a 180gal for life.";)

We could call it a seminar labeled Arowana 101.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
That would be really interesting, never knew trauma could affect drop eye.
It would be really interesting to have a biologist or an expert talk a little more about it.

I'll show you my Aro's drop-eye later

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store