EJBD

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
[video=youtube;HISz1sEl0hU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HISz1sEl0hU[/video] i recently spawned 2 EBJD X EBJD pairs in tanks 2 feet x 18 inches x 12 inches.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
[video=youtube;ePxHQc2d1_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePxHQc2d1_s[/video] one batch hatched one didnt.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Great vids thanks for sharing them son and I watched them like 3 times he will be going in a 40 gal would that be too small for two ebjd's and the tiger barbs ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Great vids thanks for sharing them son and I watched them like 3 times he will be going in a 40 gal would that be too small for two ebjd's and the tiger barbs ?

I think they would be fine, mine were all raised in tanks smaller than 40 gallons. My biggest male is over 6 inches i got him may last year hes about 6 and a half inches and is fertile i have him divided with a regular female jack will be putting them together soon. Hoping for some nice blue gene jacks from this guy.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I would not do tiger barbs EBJD stress out easily. I had mine with cherry barbs and they did great cherry barbs are allot less nippy. The most common death I have seen online and this has been my experience is they get stressed out and stop eating then die for no apparent reason. Keeping them alone or with smaller fish like tetras or cherry barbs would be good. They are not aggressive at all. Two in a 40 will be fine as they grow slower and stay smaller than other JD's

Also wanted to add in my experience they typically do better in a a pair or group and kept as a species only tank or with smaller fish. I never had problems until I added them with other cichlids.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc

I kept mine with regular jacks huge plecos and even a small adonis who would chase my small female at feeding time and i havent had one EBJD die. The thing is with all mine i took my time and picked the ones i wanted out of the tanks. Im lucky because my local fish stores bring in a lot of EBJDs at one time. Alot of people will buy anything and bring home poor examples of EBJDs then try to define the breed from their experience. Some people dont have a option to choose so they roll the dice me myself i wouldnt do this i would rather order from a solid breeder online before i bought the only little skittish EBJD sitting at the local fish store. As a person who has had a lot of success with these fish and watching and talking to successful breeders when you start with the right stock these fish are just as healthy and durable as regular jacks. JMO

deuxe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2013
Brooklyn
View attachment 1005140
Got these from tarmack a little over a month ago. They were 1.5 inches and now they are around 2.5 inches. Feeding beef flakes and brine shrimp, trying to ease them into pellets. Fed 4 times a day and are housed with electric blue acaras

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I guess I swap out the tiger barbs for black ruby barbs.

Do you guys know of any reputable breeders ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
What is the difference from blue gene and ebjd ? Just looked up some older thread about a breeder richard Brice out of ny which is perfect cuz im ny as well anyone do biz with him?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store