Ever feel like this hobby is taking over ur life?

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
I've kept at least a tank since I was employed, when I was around 14 in 96. Something about this hobby has stuck with me, almost as if the regularity of the maintenance became a part of my routine. I've got a bunch of other hobbys, but none that give me the peace of mind of a well maintained tank. It's like a zen garden, probably the only place in my house I can keep pristine.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I've kept at least a tank since I was employed, when I was around 14 in 96. Something about this hobby has stuck with me, almost as if the regularity of the maintenance became a part of my routine. I've got a bunch of other hobbys, but none that give me the peace of mind of a well maintained tank. It's like a zen garden, probably the only place in my house I can keep pristine.
ain't gotta tell me, just did a WC and I feel the same way atm lol the fish are so much livelier and excited afterwards.....almost dog-like :)

Besides fish keeping literally my only other hobbies are sports and thats it lol. I literally find myself consumed in this hobby during ALL of my free time. Whether its just sitting by my tank and watching my fish, discusing fish on this forum, watching fish shows and documentaries on netflix to youtubing fish videos lol yes i do this and i do it often.....i hope im not the only one lol

I have an obbsession and i started this thread to see if any of u consume urself as well lol

Its gotten to the point where ive asked myself why im obsessed with this hobby?...and i cant answer that question
what about fishING? u forgot fishing

Reactions: Dee eng

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
When I had 13 running tanks I felt it consumed my life... became more work than joy. I am back to 4 tanks at the moment (2 actual tanks, a grow out for a bichir and an axolotl tank). I do not feel it consumes my life now just enriches it.

Since I have been off work two weeks I can tell you my tanks are pristine and I have enjoyed them being there (a lot ) without them right now I would loose my mind. I typically work 12-14 hrs a day being home two weeks is ... wow.... I have 1 more fish to buy in the next few weeks and I will have the stock I want for the next 8-10 years just gonna maintain it and watch them grow breed ect... Although I will probably get more plants..

Sorry for the ramble but like I said for me the tanks have kept me going the last few weeks

Reactions: Frank Castle

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
You guys should've seem MFK in 2008-2012. It was amazing and super active.

It's a hobby and like any hobby, you may fall out of it. Also, you may also find yourself going back to it and it's gonna feel like you never left.

A hobby, should never take over your life, it should make it better.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

It's a hobby and like any hobby, you may fall out of it. Also, you may also find yourself going back to it and it's gonna feel like you never left.

well said. and welcome back, whoever you are lol

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I tend to find when I get to over 3 tanks, I start feeling it more as work than enjoyment; even on nano's. Plus I don't want to be the guy who'se house you walk into and go "okkkkkkk, he has a few aquariums in his living room".

My gf however, is a bad influence lol; she wants dwarf puffers etc, so i'll probably end up with more tanks than even i want lol

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York

I agree with all of this. I was around MFK since about 2008 under a different user name (long story lol) and it was much more active. I downsized my hobby from 7 tanks to one and just maintained that one for a few years. Just in the last year I started upgrading and putting money into the hobby and spending more time on the forum again. Throughout the years I've found a balance that works for me. Winter time the fish hobby takes a backseat to my snowmobile though lol

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Besides fish keeping literally my only other hobbies are sports and thats it lol. I literally find myself consumed in this hobby during ALL of my free time. Whether its just sitting by my tank and watching my fish, discusing fish on this forum, watching fish shows and documentaries on netflix to youtubing fish videos lol yes i do this and i do it often.....i hope im not the only one lol

I have an obbsession and i started this thread to see if any of u consume urself as well lol

Its gotten to the point where ive asked myself why im obsessed with this hobby?...and i cant answer that question
Yes, when you have to plan your vacation around fishkeeping and then you get on vacation and you're still on here looking at fish..... it's taking over lol.

butchie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
orlando
Set up my first tank at 10 yo. Built a homemade sump in the 80's for a marine tank when the Dutch introduced the concept to the US through an article in FAMA. Idk if that mag even exists anymore. Was riding my bike to work at a pet store when i was 15 yo. I have had tanks through most of my life since then but the obsession has popped up only intermittently. Just recently getting back into it and I'm full on. I've got a 60 g in the bedroom, a 200 g cycling on the back porch and I'm drawing up a fish room for breeding projects. I got into reefs about 8 to 10 years ago and that addiction got ugly lol. Totally burned me out for awhile.

Reactions: convict360

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
When I had 26 tanks ,I felt it was too much. I was spending 4 hours a day working on them. Over the next 4-6 years I got it down to 1 but increased it up to 2 for a short time. It bounced between 1 and 2 over the years. Right now I have 4 plus a mini pond.

Reactions: convict360
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store