Final Tank Setup

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
So this was a treatment for the cyano you were trying to remove, not a long term prophylactic measure?
Yes, at that time, I had an issue with Cyano in 2 (out of 20) tanks, and I was curious (with those 2, particular outbreaks) as to whether Rid-X( a rather inexpensive probiotic) would do the same job as the more expensive aquarium oriented products.
I prefer to use less toxic products in aquariums, as opposed to more toxic or carcinogenic substances.

This is why given a choice, I will use salt (NaCl) to combat a disease like Ick, as opposed to a suspected carcinogen/mutagen like Malachite.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! I got some new fish for my tank today. Specifically 7 Red Platies and 1 Geophagus Redhead Tapajos. Yes I'm aware I have only one geo and they usually are in schools, but I will get another one at a later time. He hasn't caused any trouble yet, actually he's been minding his own business. I will post pics tomorrow.

Very excited!

Reactions: Joshuakahan

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Some more (I took a bunch this time because I'm indecisive lol):

IMG_3113.jpg
IMG_3108.jpg
IMG_3116.jpg
IMG_3121.jpg

What I've Done to the Tank: After considering what some people said about putting non-aquatic plants in water, I decided to take out half of the plants and put them in dirt. I'm leaving some in right now to give the fish some shelter, but I'm hoping to eventually replace all "non aquatic" plants and only have real aquatic plants. I rearranged the rocks and wood to give new life to the tank's decor and did some basic maintenance.

Today I'm going to take out my neons and possibly replace them with something else, I may instead get some plants or rocks, not 100% certain yet. Right now, they are just expensive prey and I don't want them eaten. Plus, it will free up some room to allow for different fish. I'm almost happy with the stocking, I'm finally getting the mix I've been looking for; pretty fish for looks and chunky catfish and medium sized cichlids to feed my appetite for larger fish.

Americancichlidsaredabest

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
Hey y'all! I got some new fish for my tank today. Specifically 7 Red Platies and 1 Geophagus Redhead Tapajos. Yes I'm aware I have only one geo and they usually are in schools, but I will get another one at a later time. He hasn't caused any trouble yet, actually he's been minding his own business. I will post pics tomorrow.

Very excited!
very nice tapajo. I heard your aware but I would be careful with just one, I personally have just one and I have considered taking him back to my lfs multiple times because he can be so aggressive.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
very nice tapajo. I heard your aware but I would be careful with just one, I personally have just one and I have considered taking him back to my lfs multiple times because he can be so aggressive.
Thank you for the heads up, so far, he hasn't been a problem thankfully.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I got three new fish, a pair of dwarf acaras and a royal loricariid. Once they settle in for a few days I'll take pictures, so far they are doing fine.

Edit: For anyone wanting to know what a dwarf acara is, this is the species: Laetacara curviceps.

Last edited:

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
This morning I've been able to get some pictures of the newbies, so here are some pictures of the newbies (and also the entire tank right now):

*Also, sorry if I switched the genders of the acaras, they look so similar, its confusing. lol.*

Male Acara.jpgFemale Acara .jpg
Yesterday Evening:
Flushed Out Loricarid .jpg
This Morning:
Close Up of Morning Royal.jpgColored Up Loricarid.jpg

Also, apparently now there is this funny "war" (not really a war) between Mosaic and the Geo. When the Geo attacks or chases one of the smaller fish, Mosaic comes in and puts the Geo back in place. It is quite funny to watch. I'm watching it closely, and I'll take any action needed to keep the peace, if things get too intense, I'll remove the Geo, for right now, its just light chasing and nipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midwater

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y’all, I have a question. Do I have room for an EBA? I’ve really wanted to have another one and I’ve been seriously considering adding one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store