FINALLY A DAT!!!!!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Offered massivore this morning he nosed it but didn't take would they rather have floating?? And also when I walked in the room to check on my tanks he came up to the glass abruptly and when I turned on the light he hid so I turned it back off

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
My dat doesn't hide when the lights come on or a room light turns on. He doesn't care one way or the other. Yours is probably just skittish due to being in a new tank and stressed out a little. How are the colors on him now? Is he more stable?

My dat also prefers to eat floating foods or stuff near the surface. When I finger feed him the tilapia he prefers it right below the surface. He's eaten tilapia pieces off the bottom but he doesn't prefer that.

You might want to try feeding some thawed small pieces of MS or tilapia. Dangle them or get them moving in the current so yours thinks it might be live food. After he starts accepting the thawed foods then stuff it with small pieces of Massivore.

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
I doubt floating works unless it is currently in a small tank. Dats are shy and usually do not swim at the surface.
Mines just hide until it's feeding time and take Hikari Carnivore sinking pellets. Looks like yours is still pretty small, I would probably try feeding live (bloodworms, shrimp bits, and guppy feeders) first to make sure it gets conditioned for pellets. Most people have success "starving" dats to get them on pellets, but it's risky for young dats.

Also get him some covers to hide and feel more comfortable. Patience is the real key to keep datnoids. A lot of people don't keep them because they hide or don't take pellets immediately, but once they do, they are in my opinion one of the best freshwater fishes.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Exactly right man.. I have covers/ lid he is in a 20 long for now bare bottom please read my post where I ask the question About the 20 long and bare bottom. And also I think I may give him feeder guppies and frozen foods for the first few weeks just to give him some bulk so he won't starve or die then I will start breaking out the pellets

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Sorry for multiple posts I'm just excited but I was wondering if I ever find another datnoid even if it's a different type like an NTT are they compatible I know agression may be an issue if I wait too long

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Oh and also I noticed he has like 3 bars I think not too sure how to count bars yet but I think he has three on his main body mass and two of them join to make a v shape pointing downwards like this shape ^ does this mean that he is not a pure indo? Or is it just A unique trait

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store