Finally got myself a Datnoid!

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Nice FH. Wow, he knocked off the dividers, eh? A tough fish you got there. Cool, haha. Glad to hear the FH is getting along with the datnoid. I'm planning to put my datnoid in my 250 gallon once he/she doubles in size to about 4 inches.. I'm really worried that if I put him/her in at 2 inches, some of my bigger fish that get really curious about my dat thinking he/she is food and decides to chase and take a big bite out of him/her.. So yeah, that wouldn't be a nice idea.. Now the quarantine will be like a temporary grow tank for dat currently. Thanks for sharing video, by the way.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
:dbz3_4: Good news, guys. I was successfully able to get my datnoid to eat some pellets yesterday night, if only the site wasn't down last night, I'd be telling you guys "tonight" instead of yesterday, because I was hyped as heck and relieved that my dat ate some pellets for the first time lol. Believe it or not, it was the first time I introduced pellets too, and he took several of them and didn't spit them back out at all; he only eats the pellets that fall around in front of him though, and maybe he also ate a little on the tank floor.. He still leaves the extras of the bare bottom..

Gee, so I guess I starved him enough. I didn't starve him like crazy, only for just like 5 days, I believe; but wow, I thought it would've been waaay more difficult like weeks for them to take pellets! Fortunate for me I guess that I was able to get him/her to eat pellets already so early. Well now I'm going to keep going with the pellets, and grow him/her in the quarantine until he/she doubles in size or bigger for the 250 gallon. I'll be sure to post some nice pics for you guys, and maybe some videos of him/her eating pellets.

In the meantime, I'll continue with pellet feedings, I'm feeding NLS.

Huge wall of text that is full of questions INCOMING... LOL Forgive me guys, like I said, my interest and curiosity in now dats man is really high...

All right, peeps, I got myself some massivore pellets several days ago. How in the world do you feed something so big for a small baby datnoid lol? I assume you would have to crush each large pellet into small bite-sized pieces so they would be able to eat them? So yeah, I'm planning on getting him/her on massivore. Besides massivore, what do you guys think of Hikari's 'Cichlid Gold' mini pellets, and all cichlid pellets that is high in protein in general to feed to datnoids? Are they a little way too much in protein for dats, or it's actually perfect? I'm guessing the cichlid pellets will be perfect since dats are carnivores and love meaty foods.. So am I assuming correctly that they will be fine, matter of fact, do superb on cichlid pellets? What about some vegetables? Should I also be supplementing the dat with some herbivore veggie/spirulina pellets too for some balance? As much as I want him/her to grow fast, I don't want to push him/her over the edge and get way too fat, and have a huge bulging stomach popping out or anything, and become unhealthy either.. I heard there are deaths caused by overeating, overfeeding, constipation, bloating, too much fat in their food, and all sorts of other crud, so I want to be really careful! :grinno: Unless dats have really good genetics, and a super high metabolism to break down meaty foods with very little to no issues whatsoever??! Turn the heater up to 80-86 F??! Then okay, I'll feed him/her lots lol and not worry about a thing? SERIOUSLY though, do I have anything to be worried about while like power-feeding him/her when he/she begins to really eat pellets no problem? Do I give him breaks from eating so much from time to time? What is your feeding schedule for dats to grow them to grow them fast and big? What happens if I begin feeding bloodworms again? Will he/she possibly revert back to only taking bloodworms and not the pellets?

:cheers: If anyone can give me some good answers, I'd really appreciate it.

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
You can break the mass pellets in to 4 with you hand. I would wait a week or two before giving him bloodworms. My dats get pellets 2 times a day and shrimp - fresh fish or bloodworms on Saturday and no food on Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
All right, guys. As promised, here is a video of my baby datnoid eating pellets in action and some pictures.

[video=youtube;495Zc11FGZA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=495Zc11FGZA&list=UUxGO3fIp4GXFC8aQHW6oFSg[/video]

Howdaya like that?? This lil dat is already off to a good start. Proud. Now it's time to get this little guy way bigger, badder :cool:, and pleased.. It's only a matter of time. Hope you guys enjoyed my video and pics. Have a good one, folks! Enjoy him/her while you can at this size, because within a few months, he'll no longer look that small haha.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Nice..one thing i would suggest is putting a few less pellets in at a time..maybe you did that just for the video. .you can see when the pellets get saturated with water they turn to mush & a little dat can't help but make a mess & help dirty the water..just a few at a time will keep the pellets stay somewhat solid before they get eaten..even break them up smaller if he has a difficult time with them

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks man. Yeah, I did the extras just for show. Also to get the datnoid nice and full for the some energy ;) Plus the clown loach in there slurps all of them right up and the pellets were pretty much gone later after the footage.

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
Nice Dats! Already looking stable even in the bags o.o mine has been in my tank for a few days now and it seems to be unstable still dark colored =X hope his colors come out soon

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Thank you, thank you very much. Yep, my dat is becoming more and more stable as of late. Thanks to the pellets it simply really wakes his/her colors up quick. Is yours in a very bright tank? It could just be a little shy right now, and still acclimating to your tank, hopefully your dat will perk up eventually.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
I just tried giving my dat some crushed small pieces of massivore.. no luck, yeah, my finally luck has ran out been way too lucky with this guy, eh? Lol.. meh he/she is still preferring NLS pellets. Are the massivore pellets meant to be pretty hard? I tried crushing them my finger, but geez, they pretty solid, so I put some in a ziplock bag rolled them a little with a pestle so they get crushed.. Dat just tries to eat them, but he/she just can't seem to want to swallow whole, I get it's just not used to it yet?

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
What's good, folks. :p

I just tried giving my dat some crushed small pieces of massivore I stored in the freezer to keep fresh.. no luck of my dat gulping them down, yeah, finally my luck has ran out.. but he/she is still preferring NLS pellets. Are the massivore pellets meant to be eaten pretty hard by fish? I tried crushing them my finger, I could just a little, but geez, they pretty solid imo, so I put some in a ziplock bag rolled them into little small pieces using a pestle so they get crushed.. Dat just tries to eat them, but he/she just can't seem to want to swallow whole, I get it's just not used to it yet? Give it a few more days/weeks?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store