Finally - Ultima 10,000 Setup

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I know some filters can take around 300 gallons to back wash not sure I remember what the backwash gallons needed for this filter but I would make it so it is low in the tank. Smaller pump might take more time to clear it all out also. Will be interesting to see how it all works and how many gallons are needed to backwash it. You sure that pump is going to be large enough that filter? I would be worried my self. How much media you placing in it? Full load

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Optimal flow rate: 7,500 GPH @ 10' of head height. Direct drive self priming pumps are recommended such as external pumps.

Minimum flow rate: 5,000 GPH and a maximum flow of 7,500 GPH

I know you might be able to get a little less with less media in the filter.

Sent from my Touchpad using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
It's fully loaded with media. We all had this talk a while back, I got the filter from BigRich, I think he went from this 10,000 gallon filter to a 20 or 30,000 gallon Ultima. He wrote a large post telling us how it would work just fine, so I'm going with it, worst thing that could happen is, I would have to sell this pump and get a larger one. Here is the post from BigRich http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?478879-10-000GPH-Pond-Pump

I got the union on, went to complete the backwash, I guess the elbows were mixed in the 2" box, I got three 1 1\2" elbows so need to take it back tomorrow and get the correct size.

I spoke to a rep at http://www.ultimafilter.com/ and they told me it would work, just wouldnt be as efficient. They said for my tank size, I should have a problem..

One last thing I almost forgot, I need to switch the pump over to 3600GPH, right now its 2600GPH.

Time will tell I guess.

Here are the new pics

IMAG1702.jpg

IMAG1703.jpg

IMAG1704.jpg

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Agreed. Ya i have read all the info on the filters with other poeple. Sometimes it is hard.to know. I hope it works for you and you don't loose all the water in the backwash. Guess you can just get a larger tank. Lol :D

Time will tell I guess.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Agreed. Ya i have read all the info on the filters with other poeple. Sometimes it is hard.to know. I hope it works for you and you don't loose all the water in the backwash. Guess you can just get a larger tank. Lol :D

Well, I'm going to test it out. I got brand new water in the tank, I'm sure the filter is loaded with gunk that is going to come out in the tank, I read and saw photos of someone on here that did the same thing. So when I fire it up, I will do a backwash test. Better to do it know than when I get fish in there. If it turns out the filter is just to dang big, I will sell it and get the smaller Ultima they sell, if I can find a buyer for mine first because they sure aint cheap :)

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Question, should I split the return into 2 or leave it as 1?
I personally do one on all mine. I know people with rays do two. Up to you.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
I personally do one on all mine. I know people with rays do two. Up to you.
I guess I will see what the flow is like with one, if it seems to much I add another. Cant wait to get this thing fired up :)

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
So far I got the backwash pipes down and the inlet and some of the return. I need to get more cement to complete it tomorrow evening.

Question. I'm converting the pump to 3600GPH, the impeller I took off has a white ring in the middle and a black disk I'm assuming behind it. I dont see any way to remove it, is it supposed to be removed and put on the bigger impeller?

IMAG1707.jpg

IMAG1708.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store