Finally - Ultima 10,000 Setup

MFK2009

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2009
Manitoba
Been running Ultima4000 on a 325Gallon tank for 6 months, works well.

http://sdrv.ms/OE2E8D

Clean water and tank (small ammonia spike on some backwash's but back to normal zero in 1hr or so)
Been backflushing/rinsing weekly, but believe that maybe to often so bumping that up a week at a time to see what happens
I think I'm backflushing to often or too long and that's what cause the spike every now an then.

-Return line to tank is 8ft of 1&1/2 pipe with 4 outlets to each 1/4 of tank, first outlet goes into submersible ultraviolet light, next one is plumbed pointing to water surface mixing it up and pushing to rear end of tank, next goes half way to tank bottom then 90% fitting pushing water to middle and rear of tank, final one restricted down to 3/4inch and points to tank bottom
This mixes water up well, and flushes crude to rear and pump intakes pretty good. My how long does it take to fill a gallon bucket test says about 3200 GPH split over the 4 exits

Things I'm glad I did:
-Put a Drain pan that is used under hot water tanks under Ultima to catch drips/slops (shopvac cleans it out)
-Put large Orings on Unions threaded into head unit, gives a cushion to snug them down to, stops any small drip, seals well
-Waste line out I run straight pipe threaded into head unit, then a tee pointing up/down, on the up part installed a oneway plumbing air vent, it stops water coming out when pumps on, lets air in when its off, prevents a airlock in waste line, lets it drain dry
-My pump returns about 3200 GPH to tank or out waste line, it will drain tank in minutes, I cannot add water fast enough to keep up to drainage during backwash/rinse or get a reasonable backwash length of time. So restricted very end of my 20ft wash line to 1 inch, This lets me run 3 minutes backwash, refill, 3 minutes rinse, refill, and repeat number of times wanted. and keep a reasonable amount of water in tank.

Things I want to do:
-Add fitting to bottom drain on Ultima to have a better more controlled drainout option, or maybe ability to pump water into bottom of filter and have a slower backwash. Its just a cap threaded onto fitting now. Take cap off an water gushes out (Ok outside but not in a bldg)
-get a loop setup of pump and lines to be able to pump water into filter and right back into pump (not into tank) to really mix it up for extended period, and then backwash from tank normally (or maybe slow backwash from a retrofitted bottom drain)

I like the Ultima, its pretty clean to setup and operate.;) But wish it had a window in side !!!

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Been running Ultima4000 on a 325Gallon tank for 6 months, works well.

http://sdrv.ms/OE2E8D

Clean water and tank (small ammonia spike on some backwash's but back to normal zero in 1hr or so)
Been backflushing/rinsing weekly, but believe that maybe to often so bumping that up a week at a time to see what happens
I think I'm backflushing to often or too long and that's what cause the spike every now an then.

-Return line to tank is 8ft of 1&1/2 pipe with 4 outlets to each 1/4 of tank, first outlet goes into submersible ultraviolet light, next one is plumbed pointing to water surface mixing it up and pushing to rear end of tank, next goes half way to tank bottom then 90% fitting pushing water to middle and rear of tank, final one restricted down to 3/4inch and points to tank bottom
This mixes water up well, and flushes crude to rear and pump intakes pretty good. My how long does it take to fill a gallon bucket test says about 3200 GPH split over the 4 exits

Things I'm glad I did:
-Put a Drain pan that is used under hot water tanks under Ultima to catch drips/slops (shopvac cleans it out)
-Put large Orings on Unions threaded into head unit, gives a cushion to snug them down to, stops any small drip, seals well
-Waste line out I run straight pipe threaded into head unit, then a tee pointing up/down, on the up part installed a oneway plumbing air vent, it stops water coming out when pumps on, lets air in when its off, prevents a airlock in waste line, lets it drain dry
-My pump returns about 3200 GPH to tank or out waste line, it will drain tank in minutes, I cannot add water fast enough to keep up to drainage during backwash/rinse or get a reasonable backwash length of time. So restricted very end of my 20ft wash line to 1 inch, This lets me run 3 minutes backwash, refill, 3 minutes rinse, refill, and repeat number of times wanted. and keep a reasonable amount of water in tank.

Things I want to do:
-Add fitting to bottom drain on Ultima to have a better more controlled drainout option, or maybe ability to pump water into bottom of filter and have a slower backwash. Its just a cap threaded onto fitting now. Take cap off an water gushes out (Ok outside but not in a bldg)
-get a loop setup of pump and lines to be able to pump water into filter and right back into pump (not into tank) to really mix it up for extended period, and then backwash from tank normally (or maybe slow backwash from a retrofitted bottom drain)

I like the Ultima, its pretty clean to setup and operate.;) But wish it had a window in side !!!
Really good info, thanks for posting this!

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Is it running yet?:D

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Monster filter! It seems weird to see a huge filter like that on carpet - you are much braver than me.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
dam you guys are ballin! running ultimas on 300-500g tanks...
im still running a sump and a cls on my 600g =/ LOL...

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Nothing wrong with a sump they work just fine. Sump here also with my 600

dam you guys are ballin! running ultimas on 300-500g tanks...
im still running a sump and a cls on my 600g =/ LOL...

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store