Florida Everglades are under attack

Michiba54

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2010
Florida
If a fish is not banned are you allowed to keep them if you catch them?

And just to stay on topic, its not just the everglades, my pond has big tilapia in it. I've only netted two, but both were post last years cold snap. Cant catch a fish with rod an reel if my life depending on it :(

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
There is almost no way to eliminate them at this point. Just keep stocking the natives in larger numbers and have them out compete the exotics by numbers.

I will be back down there next week and will do my part!!

Rays of Sunshine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2010
Georgia
www.youtube.com
Here are some of the fish:http://www.thelocalhookupma.com/id40.html

Here is an article about a program designed to capture all pythons living in the wild in Florida. This may help you with your fight, maybe you can get in contact with some of these people involved in the program. They may provide information to help for exotic fish too. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31971185

Best of Luck too!!! I have heard and have also seen the the jungle and safari that is going on in Florida. I have heard it is really rampant around the airport because of containers and cages not being properly sealed and then shipped. The animals get loose and escape in trees, land and water surrounding the airport. This includes iguanas, snakes, parrots, monkeys and so much more.

zypher

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
Southeast Asia
www.flickr.com
vaipulu;4522521; said:
There is money to be made here John re-housing these fish, I'm sure if you posted For Sale ads from this campaign many MFKers would be more than happy to fund your efforts.

This would also be a good MFK event, I wouldn't mind taking some time off for an organized event. Let us know whats up, and good luck with state funding.

P.s Got a new truck yet?
ill probably go and fly out if theres a big enough mfk event.
Ill cover the event and send some to newpapers or something
to make a difference.

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
You'd need permits, its illegal here to do that, the only state that seems to protect the invasives (not really but you know what I mean), I got in trouble for taking invasives for my fish tank, bogus (I have my license now). It seems like a good idea, I feel like a lot can be accomplished this way and itd be more natural than other methods. I would love to help, if you think you ever need my efforts send me a pm. Im planning on becoming a fisheries biologist and would really love to specialize in invasives, but I don't know if Id be lucky enough to do that. But luckily naturally with these colder winters many of the invasives are dying off, many invasives I have come to love ,such as mayans, jaguars, etc, mostly because of this hobby, but I dont want anything happening to our natural wildlife and feel it is more important to protect than to let these species take over.

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
Michiba54;4540505; said:
If a fish is not banned are you allowed to keep them if you catch them?

And just to stay on topic, its not just the everglades, my pond has big tilapia in it. I've only netted two, but both were post last years cold snap. Cant catch a fish with rod an reel if my life depending on it :(
You need a specific license, tilapia can only be kept in very few counties, and there are also regulations on how they can be caught, theres a lot of small details to keep fish you catch in freshwater (saltwater has a much more straight forward set of regulations) and I've even gotten mixed responses from poeple working for FWC.

labago

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
underwater obsession
Let me know whats your plan . I would love to help but unfortunately im in the westcoast. Come up with and event so I could fly down there for the weekend and lend a hand. We can sell all the tilapia to the asian markets. We love to eat those fish. Hehe

DJ BIG T

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Orlando , FL
i'm from Orlando but i'm in north fl for a few weeks when i get back i can make alot of time to help because winter is coming and my work is at a halt so i can help!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store