Food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
I agree with the idea of what you're saying but not every single point.

For those who didn't read the whole thing here's what he's getting across: you don't have to spend ridiculous amounts of money to have healthy fish.

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
This food point would be much better made without the ridiculous human examples. You don't have to feed an expensive premade food. You can get great results with much cheaper food if you're willing to put the work into providing a variety. Fish in the wild don't eat just one thing. The rest of your argument I don't understand; what does your room have to do with how your stock a large tank?x

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I don't get the title, Food for Not. Should it be "Food For Thought" or "Good or Not"?

Actually I don't get the whole post. Encouraging others to feed low quality foods and not use dechlorinator simply because you do it and your fish "look healthy" is ridiculously naive. The reasoning behind it is so unscientific it isn't even funny.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I agree with the idea of what you're saying but not every single point.

For those who didn't read the whole thing here's what he's getting across: you don't have to spend ridiculous amounts of money to have healthy fish.
The point I disagree w/ is the fish look the same. They have much better color on food enhanced w/ vitamins, just like we would (to use his own odd example). Of course you can keep fish alive on lesser quality food. Hell I had a buddy who would feed cat food and his fish looked healthy, but not as good as their counterparts on hikari. He got a heckelli around the same time and his has not nearly the amount of color then mine. He doesn't feed cat food anymore (I talked him out of it) and feeds bulk flake.

If your going to bother owning the fish, why not make it look its best?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
The point I disagree w/ is the fish look the same. They have much better color on food enhanced w/ vitamins, just like we would (to use his own odd example). Of course you can keep fish alive on lesser quality food. Hell I had a buddy who would feed cat food and his fish looked healthy, but not as good as their counterparts on hikari. He got a heckelli around the same time and his has not nearly the amount of color then mine. He doesn't feed cat food anymore (I talked him out of it) and feeds bulk flake.

If your going to bother owning the fish, why not make it look its best?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Well, having the fish look it's best is what we all strive for, some people simply can't afford that. But just because they're not looking perfect, doesn't mean they're not healthy.

P.S. All my fish eat NLS, Hikari, and quality frozen foods; I see his point though.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I liked the title of your last thread better, Stupid Is What Stupid Does. :D

Posted by the OP last year in the following discussion.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504838-Dechlorinator

"Most cichlids are hardy enough to where you don't even have to use dechlorinators."
And that wasn't the first time that the OP had suggested this, such as stating the following the previous year in yet another thread on this topic.

"There is NO need to use dechlorinators."

I believe that I cleared up that little misconception in the link posted above.

With regards to diet, in the following past discussion the OP stated;

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...835-Super-Worms-or-Meal-Worms-for-SA-cichlids

"Personally I feed my cichlids everything. Raw meat, pellets, frozen Hikari misc., even little Vienna sausages. I know a lot of people will go bonkers over this but they love the lil hotdogs. "
They love the lil hotdogs .........

Water conditioner is cheap, dirt cheap if one buys in bulk, especially if all one needs to treat for is chlorine. (using bulk sodium thiosulfate) Even with chloramine, using dry powder products such as Seachem Safe are also very inexpensive when purchased in bulk. Ditto to fish food. Today there are many commercial foods that will get the job done and most contain enough variety to keep a fish in relatively overall good health for their entire life. Just as in commercial dog food, the more premium brands are more nutrient dense, which generally equates to ounce to ounce feeding far less than the lower quality, lower cost feeds. (that are full of starch)

There is no need to break the bank on any of this, but that doesn't mean that a fish won't live a longer life, and be healthier, with a stronger immune response to stress (such as the toxicity of chlorine!) than fish fed a lower quality, lower cost diet.

And dxdx .......... nice catch on the photo.

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
LOL, love the comments/posts guys and gals...remember that there is no right or wrong unless it is blatantly obvious that moral and ethics are destroyed here. If animal protection comes to my house one day to save my fishes from chlorine then I will accept any punishments handed down and all proceeds will go to Take A Fish foundation.

I always find it interesting that folks who don't focus on health and nutrition always dismiss those that do, as a waste of time. I have blood work and a 30lb transformation to "prove" otherwise.
I trust your word on your 30lbs fish transformation, er, you do mean your fish right?

How long have you been keeping fish? Chlorine poisoning may take a long time to build up in some hardier fish.
Also I'll post an example of the difference between food w/ added nutes and normal bulk flake
If I was home I'd do a month or so later comparison, because their colors are even better now
Carbon Monoxide poisoning from motor vehicles may take a long time to kill us too. Go get yourself a can of fresh O2...and hope you don't die the next day from life's "10,000 ways to go bye-bye"
Did you see my pics of fishes grown from 99 cents store pellets. And please folks, don't leave your fishes unattended and alone at home like the example above.

Doesn't really support your argument, but then again if you cherry pick your examples and try to slip by people who don't know the facts, you can 'prove' anything.
The pic was chosen because it is well known
Lol, a biased thread based on my own opinion. I don't knock on people's opinion that Jesus, or Allah, is GOD. So my opinion is my own, and thus, Im not trying to prove anything nor do I have an argument to support.

you don't have to spend ridiculous amounts of money to have healthy fish.
DING...elementary my dear, Watson.

This food point would be much better made without the ridiculous human examples.
The rest of your argument I don't understand; what does your room have to do with how your stock a large tank?x
Then that would take the ridiculous out of it...which would make it a serious Nag-a-thon and Different People with Different Ethics/Opinions are going to argue back in forth.

Lemme set it in an equation form:
1 Home + 9 people = Overstocked, 1 Tank + 9 fishes = Overstocked. Cuz I said I Do Not keep: 1-2 fish in a 100 gal = 1-2 person(s) in a Mansion

I don't get the title, Food for Not. Should it be "Food For Thought" or "Good or Not"?
The reasoning behind it is so unscientific it isn't even funny.
If the title was what you said then my name would be David R.
There is no reason behind anything except enjoyment. If you think the idea is insane, enjoy it...If you think im insane, enjoy it.
Scientific information changes so much it IS funny.

I liked the title of your last thread better, Stupid Is What Stupid Does. :D

And dxdx .......... nice catch on the photo.
"RD. R R there Matey, thar she blows! Sail ho!" famously quoted from Moby Dick.
OMG, Oh NO! you've caught me :(, I was trying to make a serious legit thread to boycott the dechlorinator and fish food companies' products.

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
I love Jerry Springer's last thoughts on each of his shows...it makes sense of what craziness and oddity occured on the show.

Also if anyone should ever feel any emotions what so ever after mine or anyone's posts then Please Read My Signature. Please feel free to use it and apply it to life itself as well.

We live life, then we die. In between we try not to step on anybody else's feet. Everything matters and Nothing matters, it means that a person who eats healthy and runs everyday can die of a heart attack today. A smoker can live up to 80 or 90 years old, but all non-smoking friends died from other complications. A fish can be raised on the "healthiest foods" and the water always dechlorinated, and it dies today.

...and after reading my Signature, ask yourself, " How Does it Taste? "

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Since you're posting something on a public forum, you should expect comments. If not, then simply state that you only want replies from people who completely agrees with you.

I'm not going to chime in and tell you how wrong you are about nutrition, but I do work in medicine, with patients, and I have access to research datas that proves nutrition does make a huge difference in all complex life forms. Of course, you are pointing out plenty of examples of annomalies you see around you, but collected datas and statistics are overwhelming in showing what is healthy(eg. fruits, exercising) and what is unhealthy (eg. Twinkies, smoking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store