For Gator Gar keepers, Kinda makes you mad

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
thepede;3762678; said:
mine went missing not too long ago, now i know where he went.
:ROFL:

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
They eat them down here, they are called catan, they make chicharones from them. It is considered a delicacy. There are lots of big gar down here.

I seen a gar the other day bass fishing that was comparable to that one.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
was down in LA for a conference last year (they had a whole symposium on Lepisosteid management); was able to later hang out with some other researchers and sample some gar from their waterways (gator/spotted)...also was able to eat some...definitely tasted good...gator gar, bowfin, spotted gar, blue catfish, and yellow bass...gator gar was the best!--
--solomon

PS - i have pics i'll have to post...makes me hungry just thinking about it :)

country

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Texas
In our lakes those are plentiful that size. I grew up fishing some of the bigger lakes in north central Texas and have seen numureous gator gar at or near that size. So its not like that was the only one in the lake. And gar is good Ive fried it once had a shrimp like texture and tasted very good.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm picky about what fish i eat.. >.< nothing worse 'n fishy fish!... But now gar is making me curiouse... of course I wouldn't eat my guy =p But if their even legal to keep here.. I might have to try to catch one this year and try it.

snowy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
behind you
E_americanus;3763027; said:
was down in LA for a conference last year (they had a whole symposium on Lepisosteid management); was able to later hang out with some other researchers and sample some gar from their waterways (gator/spotted)...also was able to eat some...definitely tasted good...gator gar, bowfin, spotted gar, blue catfish, and yellow bass...gator gar was the best!--
--solomon

PS - i have pics i'll have to post...makes me hungry just thinking about it :)
STOP TORMENTING ME!!! I havent had anything to eat today:D

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I'm turned off by the idea of tasting gar meat - only because up north our equivalant is the Northern Pike, which most fishermen consider unedible for its strong fishy taste and the nearly-impossible amount of bones to get out.

Would have thought gar would taste similiar, but I guess I am wrong.

zspidel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Pa
killing animals/fish comes with being at the top of the food chain. get over it

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
zspidel;4048250; said:
killing animals/fish comes with being at the top of the food chain. get over it
its not the fact that they killed and ate a fish that bugs me, its the fact that alligator gar are becoming rarer and rarer due to overfishing

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Perun;3760869; said:
The best way to protect these animals is to have a fishery for them that is managed. These individuals have actually supported that. Before you get your panties in a bunch remember that.
classic!!!!!! you know it's all about point of view. you can't stop it and i'm sure these guys make thier clients buy fishing licenses, so there ya go. they'd probably kick his arse anyway:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store