Frontosa Burundi spitting food out?

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
If you can't find the extract that seachem offers locally in Denmark and ordering it is too long, then maybe you should go and check out a health store or pharmacy? Garlic extract is readily available
I'll go take a look tomorrow. Right now ill try to rub the garlic into the shrimp.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
If you can't find the extract that seachem offers locally in Denmark and ordering it is too long, then maybe you should go and check out a health store or pharmacy? Garlic extract is readily available
I put some small pieces of shrimp in a Little cup, then i chopped some garlic over it, Then i put it in the cooler, and left it there for and hour with garlic all over it. Then i took a piece out and attempted to feed my front.. No succes, but i just did a massive Water change, like 3 hours ago, so not reading to much into it. Ill let the other pieces lay in garlic the night over, and attempt tomorrow afternoon Again with it. Will that be to much garlic in the food? In denmark we normally use Garlic pills instead of Garlic Extract, but ill take a look in the pharmacy tomorrow.. To be honest im starting to suspect other illness, or internal parasites. Any signs i should look for? Maybe i've slagged a Little on the Water changes, i just dont think so. But Again, i havent tryed other food than frozen shrimp and earthworms.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I doubt she's not eating because she's "bored" with her food. I would start doing more water changes and add some aquarium salt.
I do a weekly 40% Water change. I'had succes with putting garlic on the food, and putting more oxygon in the Water. How ever she still seems to spit out the food.. But shes interrested in eating Again. I'll buy aquarium salt today, how much would you add pr liter? I dont want it to effect my synodontis, they seem to be doing great.

mobaman1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2013
here and there
Sorry, I'm not very good at conversions but I would dose at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Any stronger then that and your synos might not react well. 1 tablespoon good, 2 tablespoons no good. jmo

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Post your water parameters and try and get a photo of her. My lithobates group has been eating nls their whole lives and still go after the pellets like day one.
Its possible that they may have internal parasites. Meds like clout and prazipro work well

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Post your water parameters and try and get a photo of her. My lithobates group has been eating nls their whole lives and still go after the pellets like day one.
Its possible that they may have internal parasites. Meds like clout and prazipro work well
Due to some personal stuff, some time ago i cut Down on my fish, i just kept my 1 female, and my 3 syno's. I'm starting seriuesly up Again now. I'll post a pic.. Its very tricky. Normaly when something was wrong with my frontosas (Before i cut Down on them) they always lost their color. This still has her nice Black, blue color.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I'll take a Picture later or tomorrow. Im thinking maybe my tank is not getting enough light..

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Fronts don't need light, actually they prefer very little light as they are naturally found in very deep waters. Light is only really for your viewing pleasure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store