Frontosa Burundi spitting food out?

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
I would leave her alone, do 50% water change every other day for a week, some aquarium salt, feed every other day opposite water changes. She has know competition for food so she can pick and choose when she wants to eat, then the uneaten food can spoil the water. As Fronts mature they don't require as much food, if she was holding eggs she would go a month without eating. My Fronts eat NLS Thera A as a staple every other day with a treat of krill or brine shrimp on water change day. I currently have two males separated from the colony and they feed totally different as the colony attacks the food and the singles are more lazy about it. Get her some Front friends and you will see her perk right up. I haven't seen anything to make me think she is sick. Good luck.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I would leave her alone, do 50% water change every other day for a week, some aquarium salt, feed every other day opposite water changes. She has know competition for food so she can pick and choose when she wants to eat, then the uneaten food can spoil the water. As Fronts mature they don't require as much food, if she was holding eggs she would go a month without eating. My Fronts eat NLS Thera A as a staple every other day with a treat of krill or brine shrimp on water change day. I currently have two males separated from the colony and they feed totally different as the colony attacks the food and the singles are more lazy about it. Get her some Front friends and you will see her perk right up. I haven't seen anything to make me think she is sick. Good luck.
Thanks, i am getting some more. She was just so thin, and spiting the food out after trying to eat it, then trying again, then spitting out, and that keeps going. I've heard good things about nls, any special nls you use?

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk App

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
It might take me some time, to get more fronts. Will she keep starving herself and die, if she has to wait a couple of months? I have to move before I can get more fish, it's gonna take 4 months - 1 year. How much salt/liter? Synodontis eupterus are sensetive to it, so im worried about them, I also have an unidentified synodontis in there. from my ST15i using Tapatalk App

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Can you post your water parameters, water change schedule and feeding schedule this will help. NLS Thera A with garlic is what I feed, if your water parameters are off that will also cause her to stop eating. What size tank is she in and what are her tank mates, I'm assuming it is just her and the syno cats.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Can you post your water parameters, water change schedule and feeding schedule this will help. NLS Thera A with garlic is what I feed, if your water parameters are off that will also cause her to stop eating. What size tank is she in and what are her tank mates, I'm assuming it is just her and the syno cats.
Its her and the Syno cats, i feed every other day. Change Water 30% every week, and i also vacuum the buttom then, and theyr in a 250l tank, (I had to close Down my 140gal, due to moving, soon) Temperature is 24 - 26 degrees, depending on room temperature, tho normaly around 24,22 - 25,00 degrees. Tanks been running for 3 months, (Thats without cycling) I feed every other day, with frozen prawns, tho im ordering nls, and then i must stuff the nls in the prawns if she refuses it. (Ive been treating with Exit general cure, thats been a succes, i fed yesterday and she viciusly attacked the food, then spit it out, then tryed to eat it Again, then spit it out, and that kept going, maybe the piece of prawn was to big) I might be able to add another front before moving, but im not sure the tank size allows that.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
This is becomming more and more of a tricky situation, she just layed eggs, and now she has her mouth full. Should i remove them, or let her swim around with them? This will of course stop her from eating properly, and im not happy with that, when she already has feeding issues.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
That explains a lot , as to her behavior, I would leave her alone with the eggs not being fertilized she should eat them herself which is a good source of protein. I believe she was preparing herself to hold the eggs and that is the change in her feeding habit. The fact that her instinct to eat also leads me to believe she is healthy. If you strip her of the eggs it will add more stress and she could start holding air bubbles to simulate the eggs as the instinct is there. Females have also been known to hold food in their mouth to also simulated the feeling of the eggs. I would stop all meds and salt, feed enough for the syno cats and when she is ready will begin to eat again. Sometimes you can entice them to eat and they will eat the eggs by offering brine shrimp which is usually a treat they can't resist. Also it is nice and small so if she does continue to hold she can still eat some. Good luck and she will be just fine.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
That explains a lot , as to her behavior, I would leave her alone with the eggs not being fertilized she should eat them herself which is a good source of protein. I believe she was preparing herself to hold the eggs and that is the change in her feeding habit. The fact that her instinct to eat also leads me to believe she is healthy. If you strip her of the eggs it will add more stress and she could start holding air bubbles to simulate the eggs as the instinct is there. Females have also been known to hold food in their mouth to also simulated the feeling of the eggs. I would stop all meds and salt, feed enough for the syno cats and when she is ready will begin to eat again. Sometimes you can entice them to eat and they will eat the eggs by offering brine shrimp which is usually a treat they can't resist. Also it is nice and small so if she does continue to hold she can still eat some. Good luck and she will be just fine.
Thank you, So she stopped eating for 2 weeks, preparing to lay eggs? How can she go without eating ? How long will she go with the eggs?

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Should i do a water change now, or wait a couple of days? I'm afraid of stressing her even more out, now that i have been treating with Exit. ( I did one 4 days ago, and i do weekly, but Theres still meds in the water, from treating, so im wondering if i should just leave it)

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I just fed it, alot of activity, yet she still seems to spit out. I'm not sure she still has eggs in her mouth, maybe she already ate them :) How ever, its very weird she tryes to eat, and spits it out. If she just stopped eating, it would be alot easier for me to figure out what is happening, but she sucks the food in, and then spits out, and them tryes again and again, and again. I'm hoping its because she cant swallow, with the eggs in her mouth, and before it was her instincts telling her not to swallow, but anyways even before she layed the eggs today, she has been trying, but spits the food out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store