Gar ID- sold as pink rainbow gar

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Well there are a lot of Floridas in Asia I don't think there are a lot of Spotted Gars anywhere but I don't know for sure.

I have three Tropicals gars with me now and if my local dealer stays to his word, I'll have three Cubans in October.

Finding the gars I've been looking for hasn't been a problem, since those two are my favorites. Finding the other ones certainly isn't a goal but if I see them I'll let the forum know I guess.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Well there are a lot of Floridas in Asia I don't think there are a lot of Spotted Gars anywhere but I don't know for sure.

I have three Tropicals gars with me now and if my local dealer stays to his word, I'll have three Cubans in October.

Finding the gars I've been looking for hasn't been a problem, since those two are my favorites. Finding the other ones certainly isn't a goal but if I see them I'll let the forum know I guess.
the thing is, profit on spotted gar is not worth the trouble when there is Florida gar that already available everywhere.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
the thing is, profit on spotted gar is not worth the trouble when there is Florida gar that already available everywhere.
Unless there is market to support it. Just on this forum I've seen people think they have a spotted, it ends up being a Florida all the time. I certainly would think that just selling true spotted gar on this forum let alone the entire world would be very profitable.

However do to the lack of people who can't really tell the difference between them, those gars may not be profitable.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Huh??? They look different form Florida so why would one not go for something that would be a "New strain" for the hobbyist? Spotted's are sometimes around both here and overseas. It is not unheard of ridiculously impossible that an Asian breeder or farm got a hold of some SPG and is now producing them. Just because it has not been common to see SPG in the hobby for the past several years does not mean they will not show up. This fish in that pic has some SPG traits that if your trained enough to notice you see it. Really might not be one and without a more close look I'm not saying for 100% it is but there is a darn good chance enough that I would suggest it. That is not something you get easy out of me...

pagojoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
Conroe, TX
Spotted gar are abundant in Texas. The guys that got jail time didn't get it for trying to export gar, they got jail time for not having a license and mislabeling the shipment. I'm sure if someone wanted a "true" spotted gar it wouldn't be all that hard to do, although shipping might make it expensive. I watched them spawning last week in the Trinity River, really late for this area.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I was just giving the whole Florida spotted gar thing a though. What if (loosen your brain here and be flexible) some of the Florida's are actually a hybrid between the two. Who says that out of the millions of gars in Florida there isn't any spotteds? Did we identify every Florida gar before exporting to make sure it wasn't actually a spotted? In Ontario we find the odd Florida but if I were to put that in my tank people would call it a true spotted because of the location I caught it. I don't know if you follow what I'm saying, I'm tired and just kinda rambling but feel free to post your thoughts

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
What if the Florida's were selling are actually spotted or a spotted Florida hybrid and yet the dominant traits are the Florida's so that's what appears

pagojoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
Conroe, TX
I doubt that the majority of buyers would be able to tell the difference. Same situation here in Texas with the Florida gar, according to the experts. A small percentage of our "spotted" gar turn out to be Floridas on examination.

madrezz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
JKT-INA
basicly this is florida gar, red morph.. I ever posting a thread before.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store