Gar ID- sold as pink rainbow gar

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I doubt that the majority of buyers would be able to tell the difference. Same situation here in Texas with the Florida gar, according to the experts. A small percentage of our "spotted" gar turn out to be Floridas on examination.
This is what I'm saying. We don't examine every gar so can't some of the "Florida's" gars possibly be spotted?

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
Due to lack of pattern on its dorsal side, I have to say that the gar pictures is in fact a shortnose gar (Lepisosteus platostomus). They are relatively rare in the trade and can be quite hard to keep due to their skittishness. Best of luck!

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
I was just giving the whole Florida spotted gar thing a though. What if (loosen your brain here and be flexible) some of the Florida's are actually a hybrid between the two. Who says that out of the millions of gars in Florida there isn't any spotteds? Did we identify every Florida gar before exporting to make sure it wasn't actually a spotted? In Ontario we find the odd Florida but if I were to put that in my tank people would call it a true spotted because of the location I caught it. I don't know if you follow what I'm saying, I'm tired and just kinda rambling but feel free to post your thoughts
If they where hybrid you would never know.. Not without a careful morphometric and DNA analysis.. Have done some of this on Aquacultured FLG and still not seen this to be true. Could it??? Sure it could.. We had SNG x ALG around for a bit and out of the blue an SPG x ALG came out of that too...

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Due to lack of pattern on its dorsal side, I have to say that the gar pictures is in fact a shortnose gar (Lepisosteus platostomus). They are relatively rare in the trade and can be quite hard to keep due to their skittishness. Best of luck!
No

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store