GATOR GAR

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
i put them in and i know you guys have your opinion on the stocking (i do maintenance almost everyday) but at least they havnt ate each other

i need a epic face palm sign

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Close
, need a stronger one

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
How large of pond are you planning? Have you figured out how you are going to heat it? It gets pretty cold where you live, right? I would think that maintaining warm enough temps is going to be a serious challenge for a pond large enough for a gator gar.

Steinhart aquarium (before the new construction) in San Francisco had a bunch of gator gars in what I would guess was about a 25,000G tank. They were HUGE...about 6' to 7' long. They were kept with a bunch of SA cichlids that were breeding like crazy, but I'm pretty sure the cichlids were in there as a free supply of food.

If all you have is a 90 gallon, I think you are in wayyy over your head.

jooster78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2011
singapore
How large of pond are you planning? Have you figured out how you are going to heat it? It gets pretty cold where you live, right? I would think that maintaining warm enough temps is going to be a serious challenge for a pond large enough for a gator gar.

Steinhart aquarium (before the new construction) in San Francisco had a bunch of gator gars in what I would guess was about a 25,000G tank. They were HUGE...about 6' to 7' long. They were kept with a bunch of SA cichlids that were breeding like crazy, but I'm pretty sure the cichlids were in there as a free supply of food.

If all you have is a 90 gallon, I think you are in wayyy over your head.
Well said. Anyway since I love my gators, I shall speak in his view point.
Firstly, the tank is too crowded.
2nd, if ur gator is the biggest in there then its ok, he can eat all the others and make space for himself for all I care.
3rd, silver fishes will spook all gars and send them banging on the walls and break their back.
4th, with those fast moving fishes, ur gator will not get to his food fast enough.
5th, u should have asked before u got the gator.
6th, u asked but you don't listen.

Need more?

BTW guys, nice pics on the face palms. This can be the signature in the gars forum. Lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store