GATOR GAR

jooster78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2011
singapore
How large of pond are you planning? Have you figured out how you are going to heat it? It gets pretty cold where you live, right? I would think that maintaining warm enough temps is going to be a serious challenge for a pond large enough for a gator gar.

Steinhart aquarium (before the new construction) in San Francisco had a bunch of gator gars in what I would guess was about a 25,000G tank. They were HUGE...about 6' to 7' long. They were kept with a bunch of SA cichlids that were breeding like crazy, but I'm pretty sure the cichlids were in there as a free supply of food.

If all you have is a 90 gallon, I think you are in wayyy over your head.
Well said. Anyway since I love my gators, I shall speak in his view point.
Firstly, the tank is too crowded.
2nd, if ur gator is the biggest in there then its ok, he can eat all the others and make space for himself for all I care.
3rd, silver fishes will spook all gars and send them banging on the walls and break their back.
4th, with those fast moving fishes, ur gator will not get to his food fast enough.
5th, u should have asked before u got the gator.
6th, u asked but you don't listen.

Need more?

BTW guys, nice pics on the face palms. This can be the signature in the gars forum. Lol

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
3rd, silver fishes will spook all gars and send them banging on the walls and break their back.
l
Actually the problem with Silver fishes and Gator Gars is they absolutely just can not help themselves but to try and eat them. Flashy things often create an automatic feeding response.

:turtle:

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Wow, I must sound like a broken record by now -- Why was this thread created in the first place if you did not want advice? Why must I be responding to so many threads like this lately... the first page of the gar forum is getting bogged down by useless threads. The actual helpful ones about set up, new fish and good advice for particular (and peculiar) situations are all getting pushed down so we can read another newcomer ask,

"Should I do this?"

"No."

"Okay, I did it."

--

If you want to 'grow out' a gator gar, put it in a tank by itself with ample food. Do this until it is ready for the pond. Doesn't have to be a 90 gallon right away. Start small and move up.

If you want to kill what I am guessing are fish that you enjoy owning, then stick it in a 90 gallon tank where it is competing with FOOD... for FOOD...

your choice

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
your gator will be 1' in 1 month bro..
unlikely, Joo's only got that kind of crazy growth rate due to the huge water volume and miniscule(relatively speaking) stock. in this case, it will likely not be that fast, but the 90gal already sounds crowded as it is. that and the other things already mentioned

jooster78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2011
singapore
But he got lotsa food in the 90g. Lol.
Xander, maybe u should create on faq as a sticky for gar beginners before the guys here go crazy and kill someone. Lol.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Xander, maybe u should create on faq as a sticky for gar beginners before the guys here go crazy and kill someone. Lol.
He compiled multiple stickies using info from many of the Gar sub-forum's members, but few people actually read said stickies...

jooster78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2011
singapore
He compiled multiple stickies using info from many of the Gar sub-forum's members, but few people actually read said stickies...
I know! Maybe the titles' sounds abit too professional?
Maybe a "beginner gars keeper! please read this." Sometime like this might help?
Hummm.... I don't know.
Maybe dank can tell us if he read the stickies or not. If no, why?

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
have been trying to do a faq for some time, not as easy as one would think. when we all have more time we shall brainstorm some ideas:)

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
After awhile we become that guy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store