General saltwater Questions?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Ashlee;4511311; said:
Its funny cause a canister would be more efficient on a predator tank than a fuge.

Why not asking questions about his possible set up instead of suggesting stuff you guys know nothing about.

What kind of tank do you want?

Predator
FOWLR
or REEF?
He did say fish only in the original post, although there was no clarification on whether or not it was a pred tank or not.

j.aaron08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
Michigan
Yes that is true, but any live fish/rock/sand does have the same risk. And if it's your tank, I would imagine you're confident it is safe. For cycling you will need both beneficial and nonbeneficial bacteria. The water switch worked for me, I was on a really low budget though. If you can afford it, stick with rock/sand.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Pazzoman;4511274; said:
....fleshy should be tacking this soon....He say's that live sand does not cycle your tank instantly. Its pretty easy i converted m 72 gallon from fresh to salt. It's just that you need a big wallet then again im running an fluval fx5....more filtration the better lol
Good call.

My $.02..."Live Sand" that comes in bags from your petstore...is not live.

Sand that is purchased in a running system or from the wild is different.

Either way...there will be at least a "mini-cycle" when this is added to your tank, and your tank should be stocked with digression.

I recommend caribsea's "reef-grade" sand because I like the grain size, I like the quality, and I like the price.

The way I would suggest that you cycle your tank is through the curing process of live rock.

What is your filtration system like now? What are you hoping to keep in your tank fish wise? Would sumping your tank be a possibility?

Ashlee, could you explain why you feel that a canister would be better for a pred tank than a sump? I dont see why you wouldnt want a sump no matter what...more volume, a place to fix nitrates...

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I think the cannister reccomendation comes from cannisters having excellent mechanical filtration and saltwater predators being messy.

Ashlee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
With TheCanuck
FLESHY;4511499; said:
Good call.

My $.02..."Live Sand" that comes in bags from your petstore...is not live.

Sand that is purchased in a running system or from the wild is different.

Either way...there will be at least a "mini-cycle" when this is added to your tank, and your tank should be stocked with digression.

I recommend caribsea's "reef-grade" sand because I like the grain size, I like the quality, and I like the price.

The way I would suggest that you cycle your tank is through the curing process of live rock.

What is your filtration system like now? What are you hoping to keep in your tank fish wise? Would sumping your tank be a possibility?

Ashlee, could you explain why you feel that a canister would be better for a pred tank than a sump? I dont see why you wouldnt want a sump no matter what...more volume, a place to fix nitrates...
I said refuge not sump. Often fuges are over powered by bio load and cannot convert amonia and nitrites causing the system to crash. As you know its all about balance. A canister does a wonderful job on tanks, especially if its full of rubble rock. Bristle worms and other micro organisims will break down trapped debris making it almost nitrate free. In a predator tank, and FOWLR it is more important to make sure amonia and nitrites are being exported to nitrates then nitrates being exported. Sure it's still important but as you know reefs are another story and every filtration set up is better for another use.

A sump is always the best option. A problem with sumps and refuges are people don't know how to make them efficient, while a canister is idiot proof. I would say 60% of time canisters are more efficient than sumps due to user error.

A canister or HOB filter can be used quite well. A correctly built sump with enough bio is better, but can be hard for someone new setting up a tank.

I had a rena xp4 on my 90 gallon and it filtered my grow out tank for 2 bamboo sharks, a purple tang, and a large stingray. Never any nitrate problems, of course it was well maintained.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Diodontidae...not a fan. Thats just me. Maybe its cause so often they are poorly cared for and just end up looking sick.

Ashlee...I agree to everything you said. Just wondering because we have butted heads over the filtration thing before just wanted to see it from your angle. I think that in an ideal world, you would have both...hence my attempt to build a sump with an eheim as the return with JUST the bio media inside.

Hope you are still working on a thread depicting your overflow. :D

Ashlee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
With TheCanuck
FLESHY;4511830; said:
Diodontidae...not a fan. Thats just me. Maybe its cause so often they are poorly cared for and just end up looking sick.

Ashlee...I agree to everything you said. Just wondering because we have butted heads over the filtration thing before just wanted to see it from your angle. I think that in an ideal world, you would have both...hence my attempt to build a sump with an eheim as the return with JUST the bio media inside.

Hope you are still working on a thread depicting your overflow. :D
video will be tonight, I run a sump and canister :D

Ashlee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
With TheCanuck
RATEDRSUPERFAN;4512224; said:
what fish can you put with a porcupine puffer.
It's going to need a bigger tank eventually but will do good with triggers, wrasses, groupers, hogs, tangs, moray eels, and a couple other fish. It's still a predator and will get along with some fish, and may fight with others.

Predators is always trial and error, that's what makes a predator tank so spectacular. The quest for the perfect mix of aggressive fish all living and sharing together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store