General saltwater Questions?

Ashlee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2009
With TheCanuck
FLESHY;4537199; said:
I dont use crushed coral...but why would it be bad for preds?
Crushed Coral tends to trap larger pieces of dissolved foods within the substrate, thus causing more nitrates. Sand really benefits the tank, while crush coral tends too need more care to properly run within an aquarium.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
+1!

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I have never had good luck with sand...or with keeping it clean.

Are you talking sugar grain? I wont go smaller than a 1. I just wont. Ever again. Sand was my worst nightmare, going into filters, going all over the rocks and the corals...not being able to clean, trapping gasses/crap...being covered in algae...

So now I siphon my gravel once a week...like I recommend pretty much everyone to.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
You use gravel in a SW tank? Aragonite sand it pretty heavy, not sugar-sized. You don't use typical FW filters on a SW tank, so no impellers to affect.

RATEDRSUPERFAN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2010
wisconsin
I think i will get the crushed coral for $25, 200 gallons worth a salt for $50 and maybe some sand too. Anyone know any where to get a cheap skimmer for a 75 because im still going to use my emperor 400 filter with it.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
I HIGHLY suggest against crushed coral. When your nitrate shoots up & you don't know how to lower it, you'll be having to remove that bed. I also suggest against a cheap skimmer. This hobby takes a bit of $$$ as a initial investment--you'll be spending more down the road, if you don't buy good equipment from the start.

BradT85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2009
Illinois
Crushed coral is like anything else with saltwater. Everyone says no, but its totally possible to use it if you put in the maintenace required. Its the same thing with canister filters. I use them with no problems while people say its impossilbe and a terrible idea. It all comes down to how much work you are willing to do.

It is probably worth spending extra for the right substrate though, just dont be turned away by what is commonly accepted. Pufferpunk is right though, a good skimmer is worth its weight in gold.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store