Glo fish-everywhere!

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
Resurrecting an old thread. Every LFS within 10 miles of my house sells these things now. If my kids see them, they are definitely going to want to get them. Is there any downside to these fish? They're not dyed, so the color will not fade over time. Childhood disappointment level will be lower than what happens with painted glassfish.

OBlitzO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
New York
Never cared for glo-fish. I always like the natural look. Its a shame that fish stores are not stocking with more diversity but idk.

JOSCAR05

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
California
so...does any1 here own a glofish tank? pics if someone does

Sent from my SGH-T769 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
Not a fan, but as mentioned earlier, it is an easy to keep fish that fits into commonly kept aquariums and is attracting kids to the hobby. As corny as it may sound, kids are the future. Many hobbies out there (ex: golf) are struggling to attract a younger clientel. I'll gladly accept a few tanks dedicated to "glo-fish" at my local LFS if it keeps them in business and attracts more/future hobbyist.

Jgilbert529

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2014
Maine
Not a fan, but as mentioned earlier, it is an easy to keep fish that fits into commonly kept aquariums and is attracting kids to the hobby. As corny as it may sound, kids are the future. Many hobbies out there (ex: golf) are struggling to attract a younger clientel. I'll gladly accept a few tanks dedicated to "glo-fish" at my local LFS if it keeps them in business and attracts more/future hobbyist.
This is a good point. I know my wife and kids want them more than my"ugly" big fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I attended a talk by the guy that developed them from gene injected into zebra danios, it was interesting, though you wouldn't find them in my tanks, other than as feeders.
Looks like one day soon there will be glow cichlids, and just as blood parrots or FHs, aren't in my tanks, they won't be either. But I suppose if it inspires kids into the hobby, I suppose it could be a good thing in the end.

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
My LFS is very good about keeping a variety of fish. They consistently have rare and oddball fish as well as the more common fish that most people keep. Also when you buy from them they ask you information about the tank you have to prevent you from obtaining RTC's pacu etc from them. With that said though you can make arrangements with them to purchase the fish and then return it when it outgrows. I know alot of you would say that is sketchy and still not right. However would you rather someone get a monster fish from some rando shop or a shop that is going to take the animal and rehome home when it outgrows your setup.

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
My LFS is very good about keeping a variety of fish. They consistently have rare and oddball fish as well as the more common fish that most people keep. Also when you buy from them they ask you information about the tank you have to prevent you from obtaining RTC's pacu etc from them. With that said though you can make arrangements with them to purchase the fish and then return it when it outgrows. I know alot of you would say that is sketchy and still not right. However would you rather someone get a monster fish from some rando shop or a shop that is going to take the animal and rehome home when it outgrows your setup.
I had an Oscar years ago that I sold back to the original store that I bought. It was a better option that trying to keep it in the 30 gallon tank I had it in.

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
Sadly my albino tiger oscar passed away. And have recently had to sell back my gar. it makes me feel better when a fish store will do that. I guess kind of makes you feel that they actually care about the animals and are not just trying to make $$$$$$.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store