Glo fish-everywhere!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
They were popular over here about 2 years or so ago... haven't really seen them much at all as of late... Infact, come to think of it, not that many shops selling overly large fish around much any more... most of them tend to sell random assortments of the old classics such as Chiclids etc...

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
They were popular over here about 2 years or so ago... haven't really seen them much at all as of late... Infact, come to think of it, not that many shops selling overly large fish around much any more... most of them tend to sell random assortments of the old classics such as Chiclids etc...
Perhaps the public is getting better education?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ I honestly don't think thats the case, more likely the fad just died over here...

Also, a lot of stores have closed down on fish street, and the ones that have survived are starting to become more specialized in what they sell i.e. a lot of stores on ground level are mainly for hardware (tanks, filters etc), or deal with your more common fish and plants, while if you are looking for rarer stuff, you tend to have a check out the up-stairs shops...

Either way though, it seems now that with less stores around, the shops are really stepping up their game in keeping their fish healthier, the tanks filtered properly and clean... even a lot of the rays i have seen for sale lately have been much fatter and without the red under-belly common with ammonia burn i used to see in a lot of the other stores... although naturally the prices have also seem to have gone up probably due to the better conditions...

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
^ I honestly don't think thats the case, more likely the fad just died over here...

Also, a lot of stores have closed down on fish street, and the ones that have survived are starting to become more specialized in what they sell i.e. a lot of stores on ground level are mainly for hardware (tanks, filters etc), or deal with your more common fish and plants, while if you are looking for rarer stuff, you tend to have a check out the up-stairs shops...

Either way though, it seems now that with less stores around, the shops are really stepping up their game in keeping their fish healthier, the tanks filtered properly and clean... even a lot of the rays i have seen for sale lately have been much fatter and without the red under-belly common with ammonia burn i used to see in a lot of the other stores... although naturally the prices have also seem to have gone up probably due to the better conditions...
Personally I think the local fish stores just quit selling tank busters but still have huge selection of small tropical and cold water fishes (not mentioned saltwater too). Never seen a pacu or these mega cats for sale in long time. Lot of people are paying attention to media these days especially with pacu and snakeheads.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I've never seen a glo fish. They're not allowed in California.
nope they are not, they are GMO, also only sold in the US, wife had a 75g full of them for about a year. perhaps 35.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Personally I think the local fish stores just quit selling tank busters but still have huge selection of small tropical and cold water fishes (not mentioned saltwater too). Never seen a pacu or these mega cats for sale in long time. Lot of people are paying attention to media these days especially with pacu and snakeheads.
Not sure about the US market, but over in Asia tank busters are still often sold, but not nearly as much, and the shops that still sell them here have gone the up market route selling chill red aro's, expensive rays etc, rather than selling gars that cost less than USD $10 a piece... Which is a good thing since if people are going to drop a few grand USD on a fish, chances they will make sure its housed properly...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store