Glo fish-everywhere!

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I guess my LFSs are behind the times lol. Yes I can see why they would be good for kids, but what about everyone else?
They are getting some attention from everyone no matter what age. Glofish is popular with the college kids and beginners (and some advanced hobbyists) as well, not just little kids. Glofish is very excellent display fish always caught some attention from guests when they stop by and looking at your fishes. Almost every daycare I went to, always have some glofish in their aquariums. Glofish isn't that hard to take care of.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I agree. Fish like that are way too big, and need to be sold to people who can house them properly.

It just gets annoying when you can't even find common cichlids. Firemouths used to be abundant in my area and finally after months of search I finally found one. Even my local Pet Smart has cut out almost all of their CA/SA cichlids. Thank God they don't sell Pacu there anymore.
Firemouth are dirty common in the LFS in our local area. They have every common cichlids but not convicts.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Speaking of pacus, I hasn't see any baby pacu for sale at any LFS I went to. The last one I saw was probably 3-4 years ago.
The only place I see them by me is Petco (and RTC).......and sadly, very often.

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
What is the process of coloring on these fish? Just curious. Seen them in every petco and petsmart they have large sections devoted to them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Jellyfish DNA injected into danio eggs give them that color. Not a dying process. First genetically modified pet fish that's widely available, except in Cali. Local lfs do get them here sometimes though.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
husband said nevada petco or petsmart is getting $10.00 each for little glo barbs.
do they cost that much in other states?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
At my store...
GloFish - $5.99
GloTetras - $8.99
GloBarbs - $8.99
...and those prices are at a discount!!
Not if you are at our local Walmart, they sells them at $5.99 regard of what species.

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
My LFS has one tank of them but they are easily found in any of the pet stores and big box stores here. Colorful and active fish, they stay small and require easy to keep 10-20 gallon set ups. Plus they glow plants and rocks. Set It up with a black light and you can see how fun these would be for kids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store