Green algae scum

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
I know the pH should be a little higher (even though i'm using premixed water from the lfs) and the ammonia should be at 0 but .25 isn't too bad

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
Hhmm interesting, I was expecting your nitrates and nitrites to be a little higher. Usually nitrates and phosphates are the cause of algae growth. This is the reason people dont like bio-balls,canister filters, etc. They can be a nitrate factory without regular maintenance. Your tank does look good in that regard though. The ammonia is a little worry some but I know clowns that have survived much higher amounts of ammonia. I think that between the nipping, not fully cycled tank, ammonia, and new environment the clown is overwhelmed. If I lived close to you I would say bring the clown over and I can put him in my quarantine until he is better, but unfortunately I'm on the beach on the West coast. Basically as far away from you as I could be lol. Anyhow, I would just let your clown do his thing. He/she does have the instinct to survive and will do his best to do so. Hopefully tomorrow morning you will wake up and he will be swimming and begging for food! I'm curious as to what your circulation is like? Do you have a koralia powerhead or is it just your pump exhaust that is circulating the tank? What is your filtration like also?

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
TMartinez;4899850; said:
I know the pH should be a little higher (even though i'm using premixed water from the lfs) and the ammonia should be at 0 but .25 isn't too bad
PH isnt really that bad. It is low, but its bearable for a clown. Maybe not corals and such, but the clown should tolerate it from personal experience. Also no problem, I remember when I set up my saltwater and it can be a nerve racking experience as you start to think of the money you put into these tanks. We will definitely work through this situation and have your tank hosting corals in no time! Just remember to be patient :)

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
I have two HOT cartridge filter/pumps plus a koralia evolution 750. Circulation should be good.
I've tested my tank 4 times in 9 days and the only thing thats really changed is the ammonia...

I did start using a new food when I got the clown. I used marine flakes w/ the damsel but was told to feed the clown P E Mysis shrimp. There seemed to be alot of left overs so I think the extra nutrients in the tank might have caused the algae, maybe?

Also I don't hsve a QT, what should I do with the damsel? He's currently in a bowl lol

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
Your filtration sounds good, your just going to want to test the water around twice a week to make sure your levels stay in check, i.e. nitrate, nitrite, etc. If you start to see a spike you will probably want to check the filters and see if there is any significant buildup that is out of the ordinary. The damsel could probably be traded for a chromie. Chromies are just as hardy as a damsel and are non-aggressive. That is probably your best alternative right now. If they dont have a chromie, ask what other hardy fish they have and go with that. Anyway for now you might want to put him in the tank until you can take him to the store. IF he is aggressive immediately, I would put him in the bowl and let nature do its thing. If he lives till tomorrow, and your able to take him in so be it, but if not o well. I understand its cruel, but it is what it is and Im probably going to catch some flaming for that but o well. The mysis is most likely contributing to your ammonia. Basically all new tanks will have ammonia and the mysis is just aiding it. Flakes/pellets are much less messy as they cant disperse like mysis can. Dont get me wrong, mysis is a great food that should be used, but in this situation I would see if the clown will eat and if so feed him flakes/pellets. If he wont eat flakes/pellets I would feed him the mysis just so he will eat. How is the clown looking right now?

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
He is still "breathing" but sitting on the bottom of the tank. I guess all I can do is wait. I put the damsel in a bigger bowl with about a gallon of saltwater. I.m gonna leave him in that cause he was only $5 as opposed to the clown's $50... If the damsel dies, whatever. The clown is my priority.

The clown ate at 9 est before I started cleanin up algae so I guess I.ll just wait till the morning...

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
Well thats good he is eating. With the biocubes, they have an upper and lower intake into the filter. My clown burried himself behind a rock and was pushed up against the lower intake. He was constantly being sucked in and laboring to breath. I felt so bad, but I wanted to see if he would stick it out. Luckily he did pull through. I know exactly what your going through and I hope that he pulls through. Your clown sounds like he is doing better than mine was, due to the fact that he is eating :) thats a good sign. Do you have any diatom algae (brown algae on the sand)? Or is it just "hard" algae on the glass?

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
I don't believe I have any one the sand but I am getting brown growth on the LR

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
the clown ate twice yesterday and twice today. He was great till I started kicking up algae in the tank

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
alrighty. the diatoms are usually a sign of low circulation. adjusting the exhaust and the power head to maximize circulation is probably a good idea. Is the clown moving at all? is he like swimming around and the going back to the bottom? or is he just chillin on the bottom?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store